Sick Baby chicks

rawrmonsterbg

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
I just recieved my baby chick order this morning, everything was set up and ready to go for them. Within the next couple hours, one of my rose comb brown leghorn chicks died. Soon, I noticed that my other 2 rose comb brown leghorns were also very lethargic. They won't eat or drink and just try to sleep all day. So, I've set up a separate brooder pen for my two sick chicks. I've been keeping a close eye on them, force feeding them a mixture of blended starter chick feed and water and giving them just straight water. Is there anything else I can do? I'd hate to see all 3 of my rose combs die. I'm reporting my loses tomorrow, but I'd rather not lose any more chicks like this.

sugar water about a teaspoon to every 2 oz. make sure its baby bottle warm and keep dipping their beaks in it. they sell save-a-chick but Gatorade would work in a pinch.

Thank you! I will have to get some powder gatorade tomorrow and make them some sugar water tonight!

i have never seen anything work as fast as the sugar but you need to give it a few times untill they are over the shipping stress. hope they get ok.
fl.gif

This is my first time raising baby chicks full time by myself(aside from some help from my husband). I've been with them all day and they are inside away from the cold. I just can't figure out what is wrong with them. It's only my rose combs that seem bad off. My other 23 baby chicks are all doing just fine. I just hate seeing them so weak and having them die in my hands.

I am also new to baby chicks and I also have leghorns 4 weeks old and day-old's... I got advice from reading some of the forums at backyardchickens... apple cider vinegar helps them not to plug, which can also effect them... one teaspoon per liter of water. I noticed this morning that their stool was a lot looser but not runny... When one of the leghorns at three weeks was very lethargic, I gently massaged its rear and the following day it was right as rain.

Like I say I am new to this but by God's grace all is well at present.

Back
Top Bottom