sick baby turkey, please help.

peepers5271

Hatching
7 Years
May 25, 2012
I'm new to the post and desperate for some help.
I have a new turkey chick, about 4 days old. it's still eating and drinking but seems more lethargic than when it was hatched. It's legs specifically it's left one doesn't seem to be working right, it's not spayed or anything. It barely walks and when it is laying down one legs goes off to the side. We did have another turkey with the same condition a week or so ago that died and had the same symptom's. It is housed with an older turkey (about 2 weeks old) and he isn't having those symptoms. The 2 week old one did have a bleeding small cut on it's foot and was pecking at it so i put a band aid on it and now it seems fine. Any help i would really appreciate!!!! Thank you!!!!!

I did add some tetacycline hydrochloride soluble powder to the water this morning. This was all i had and i'm not close to a store to get anything else until later this afternoon.

I hope someone can help you :(
But do you have chickens also? I know that there is a horrible disease called black head that they can get from chickens? Dont know if thats the issue, but hey at least you got a bump!

Thank you, but no we dont have any chickens. It's just odd that the other turkey seems to be healthy. And this one is having the exact same symptoms as the other one that died.

Thank you, but no we dont have any chickens. It's just odd that the other turkey seems to be healthy. And this one is having the exact same symptoms as the other one that died.

Hmm...Here, try this site: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/
See if anything there can help narrow down what it is? Maybe if we can get a better idea, we can get people commenting and helping you! :D
Perhaps posting a picture of the little one also?

Thanks for the info. The only thing that really stuck out were the vitamin deficiencies. I went to the feed store and bought vitamins with electrolytes that you add to the water, I also bought some crushed oyster shells. He's eating well but his walking is still off. When he walks it looks like he's drunk. Very wobbly and the one leg just slides out from under him.

Here's a pic I just took of him

Thanks for the info. The only thing that really stuck out were the vitamin deficiencies. I went to the feed store and bought vitamins with electrolytes that you add to the water, I also bought some crushed oyster shells. He's eating well but his walking is still off. When he walks it looks like he's drunk. Very wobbly and the one leg just slides out from under him.

Maybe he has a bit of spradle leg also?
Here is a link of some advice: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/656932/spradle-leg-in-3-4-week-old-chick-anyone-ever-fix-this

Maybe that can help?

We have been hatching turkeys as well there around a week old now we had two premature ones and 1 of them has died but the other one is funny it's having about the same symptoms as your little turkey and we talked to our friend who workes with chickens and she said it looked like it was going to die within the next few hours but it's fine we don't put it in with the other 4 because they peck it but it has been going good the last 3 days it's so cute it's running around our kitchen but it's not growing and it has a split down its chest and you can see its organs beating in its chest it's quite discussing but I have grown to love the little guy he is so cute and is even house trained he goes back in the incubator to do a poo I love her or him so much he's so adorable I hope he stayed alive To keep him like this all you have to do is feed your turkey and dunk it's beak in some water you can sugar the water but we haven't also she loves yogurt because she can't eat food she just pecks at it and doesn't get it properly in her mouth. My mum said the other day that you can get the chick stiched up but it would cost around 100 pounds she said that that Costest more than its worth but anyway I hope this helps

Sandy moss

Hi. Did you ever discover what was wrong with your sick baby turkey? I was searching through the site tonight and ran across your post. I have one acting exactly the same way and this is the first time I've ever had turkeys. I have already lost one and want to do what I can for this one. Any info you have would be great. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom