Sick Bantam, Could use some help and suggestions

Thanks for the pics!! It is hard to see in these photos but is her urates yellow? (normal poop has a white cap...are hers yellow?)

Judging from the color and consistency of this poop it appears she is not eating or drinking much. It is very possible she has Coccidiosis. This came on her fast. If she had worms, she would go down hill a lot slower, be thin, no doubt have a pale comb. Bird with Cocci pull their heads in like this, stop eating and drinking.

So you might go to the feed store and get some Corid or something with Amprolium in it. This will go in her water. Follow the directions on the bottle. Use it for 5 to 7 days. Nothing else in her water but these meds. It won't hurt the rest of the flock if you dose the entire lot. You can eat the eggs while using Corid. See if this doesn't perk her back up. It won't hurt her if this doesn't do the trick.

No her they are whitish, just look yellow in the picture.
If she had cocci, will the rest of the flock get it? I'll look into the corrid.

Will the rest of the flock get cocci?....Maybe, maybe not. Cocci is everywhere, in the soil and even blows on the wind. If her immune system happens to be a bit low and the others not, she could fall to cocci. You don't have to treat the entire flock if you don't want. Only if you wanted to keep her in the flock as she healed. You can treat her separate from a cage or keep her inside the house for a few days. It is your choice. :)

Her poop doesn't look like an infection nor like she is overloaded with worms. So if she were my bird, I would try the corid. After I got her all healed I would get her wormed for a precaution.

Keep us posted!! :)

The stores are all closed by now, so I can't get any medicine until morning.
I looked up cocci in the chicken health handbook:
''Outbreaks also occur where sanitation is poor and/or birds are stressed due to overcrowding, an abrupt change in rations, being transported, or some drastic change in the weather''
We have had a lot of weather changes recently and with all the snow we've had in the last few days, everything is pretty swampy. I put down some fresh shavings yesterday, but the floor of the coop is still damp, and they have been eating dirty snow out of the run. Also their egg production has been down (though it was up slightly today).

Thanks for the pics!! It is hard to see in these photos but is her urates yellow? (normal poop has a white cap...are hers yellow?)

Judging from the color and consistency of this poop it appears she is not eating or drinking much. It is very possible she has Coccidiosis. This came on her fast. If she had worms, she would go down hill a lot slower, be thin, no doubt have a pale comb. Bird with Cocci pull their heads in like this, stop eating and drinking.

So you might go to the feed store and get some Corid or something with Amprolium in it. This will go in her water. Follow the directions on the bottle. Use it for 5 to 7 days. Nothing else in her water but these meds. It won't hurt the rest of the flock if you dose the entire lot. You can eat the eggs while using Corid. See if this doesn't perk her back up. It won't hurt her if this doesn't do the trick.
FYI, the directions on the bottle are for cattle, not for chickens, so if one follows them they will not be giving enough.
sad.png

Corid powder dose for poultry is 1.5 teaspoons for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
Corid liquid dose for poultry is 2 teaspoons for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

-Kathy

Edited to add:

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom