Sick Bantam

GracefulBantams

Hatching and Showing
13 Years
Oct 10, 2007
Oklahoma
I have a Rock Bantam pullet who appears to be sick, but I don't know what with. Her symptoms are:
Tail droops
Beak mostly stays open
White-ish droppings on her cushion
Slight, clear excretion from eyes (may just be tears)

These birds (9 pullets and 1 cockerel) were purchased from a poultry show this past December. The morning after we got them, the rooster was found dead in a corner of the pen, he had no obvious signs of disease or injury, but I am wondering if something might be wrong with the health of these birds in general.

Oh, and they have always been kept separate from my other birds - I keep each breed separate - so I don't think any of the other birds have been "contaminated", but is there something I need to watch for anyway?

I'm not sure what's happening to offer any advice, but wanted to tell you that I hope things look up for your pullet soon. Hopefully someone with more experience with this comes along with some advice. There are just so many respiratory illnesses, I couldn't even venture a guess. Please post any new symptoms that you think may be helpful..it may trigger someone who has seen something similar.

Jody

how long have you had them? Did you give them electrolytes/vitamins when you got them home?
Do so now (look at your feed store for electrolytes) and add a good general poultry supplement .... keep them in temp stable draft free environment. You can also give a free choice live culture yogurt to help any enteral issues which may be affecting them. Their feed should not include any scratch and you can add just enough cooked oatmeal (cook in water) to make their feed clump together...this will help digestion. you can also give POLYVISOL Enfamil (liquid childrens A-B-D vitamins) four drops in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next if you are unable to find a general poultry supplement.
Hopefully these basic support measures will be enough to help them deal with what is ailing them.

Last edited:
Hinkjc, thank you
hugs.gif

Dlhunicorn, I have had these birds since December. I gave them electrolytes/vitamins when I first got them, but I haven't given the sick hen any yet.
Thank you for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom