Sick Barred Rock and chick?

Kayley3069

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
My Barred Rock, Bossy has been laying weird shaped eggs for the past two weeks. Is this normal because she’s still young, or would she be lacking calcium, maybe? Also, I have a Barred chick who spends a lot of time puffed up and sleeping, all her group usually explores and she’s standing in the middle of the yard or in the coop asleep, worried something may be wrong?

The most likely problem for your chick is coccidia. Some birds are just have a harder time developing resistance than others. Get some corid mixed into the water ASAP.
As for the older Barred Rock, it could just be immaturity.
Should I just treat the chick or everyone? I have a flock of 10 grown plus the 6 babies. How much do you use and how long?

You treat all water sources. It does no harm to any of the other birds. It's not really a medication at all, but a thiamine blocker.
Dosage of the liquid Corid is 2.5 ml per quart or 10 ml per gallon. Powder Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Treatment needs to be given for a full 5 days.

You treat all water sources. It does no harm to any of the other birds. It's not really a medication at all, but a thiamine blocker.
Dosage of the liquid Corid is 2.5 ml per quart or 10 ml per gallon. Powder Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Treatment needs to be given for a full 5 days.
Thank you, I think our local store has both, so I’ll start this tomorrow. Hopefully it’ll help the little chick perk up. :)

Yes, when Birds become stressed their bodies can not fight off parasites or diseases ...Simple drops in temp can cause a bird to become symptomatic to diseases they carry..Try the Coccidiosis treatment first...Best wishes...Also if feeding treats and anything other than proper Chicken feed?. Cut that out and only provide balanced nutrition in the form of Chicken food ...give snacks once or twice a week..

Yes, when Birds become stressed their bodies can not fight off parasites or diseases ...Simple drops in temp can cause a bird to become symptomatic to diseases they carry..Try the Coccidiosis treatment first...Best wishes...Also if feeding treats and anything other than proper Chicken feed?. Cut that out and only provide balanced nutrition in the form of Chicken food ...give snacks once or twice a week..
No we do not do snacks too much just crumbles, cracked corn, shell, and eggs.

Back
Top Bottom