Sick Bay Advice Needed

Kaitlin H

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
I have an 18 month old Easter Egger who has been having diarrhea the last few days. She’s also had a bit of a dirty bottom & has been losing feathers around her vent since late August. I’ve checked several times for mites/lice and found nothing. I took a fecal sample to the vet today and it was negative for parasites. They gave me an antibiotic to put in her water called Tylasin and said to separate her from the others.

I’m new to chickens & this is my first issue like this so I’m trying to decide how to set up a sick bay. I feel terrible for her because besides the diarrhea everything else is normal (eating, drinking, active) and she’s going to hate being cooped up. She’s also going through her first molt and is molting the hardest out of all my girls, so I feel bad adding extra stress for her. I was thinking about putting a dog crate in the coop if I can get it to fit so the others can still see her and she’s in a familiar place. Any thoughts or advice on this?

I have done that before - as long as your coop is secure, a dog crate in it is fine. Although I’m curious why the vet would want you to separate her if it’s not parasites and she’s acting normally. Does he think she’s sick? If so, putting her in the coop in a crate can still spread whatever he thinks she has.

What do you feed her? Any treats lately that would cause the diarrhea? In the summer when my chickens drink a lot, they can also have really wet poops…do you have any pictures?

Is there excess protein in her diet right now?

I use soft sided hexagonal dog crates from Elitefield. They are available on Chewy and ship fast. They come in many sizes and can be set up quickly.

The only benefit of separating her at this point, seems to be ease of giving meds just to her and also to be able to monitor her more easily. It may or may not be more stressful to have her in the coop with the others. She will likely struggle a lot to get out to be with them, roost, etc and it may make it more stressful for her.

You can always keep her in the sick bay most of the day and overnight, and then let her have a few hours per day with the rest of the flock.

Best, wishes!

Generally most folks have a space in there home for sick or injured birds, like a spare bathroom, bedroom, or garage.

There is a reason to keep her separated from the flock. Makes it easier to apply meds, make observations of her regularly on her condition, keeps her calm and well rested.

I think separating her for observation alone is worth it. Its so hard to tell who is making which poop or eating what when they're all out together. Also it would be hard to medicate her otherwise. I have a big wire dog kennel I can assemble in the garage for these cases. That way I can check on the chicken often and see if she's eating and drinking enough and monitor poops closely

I agree, I would separate her while she is on the mend. What are you feeding her ? A hard molt can be very draining on their bodies. Keep her bottom clean. Has she healed ?

Back
Top Bottom