Sick Bird. I need help!

Mickidoodle

Chirping
Apr 8, 2020
I have a 6 1/2 month old EE who is lethargic, not eating or drinking. I also have noticed I have not seen her poop in the last hour! 😳
She has not started laying yet.
We recently have had some cold nights- the lowest was 17F. She is the only chicken who has acted cold. Hiding one foot at a time in her feathers. I brought her inside and made some scrambled eggs with garlic and she won’t eat. I did get some water with ACV in her with a syringe. I don’t know what is wrong or what to do next.
Any help would we much appreciated!

No upper respiratory symptoms. I noticed when I felt her abdomen she bared down a little and seems uncomfortable. I did get a new feed about a month ago with a little higher protein content. But they have been eating it without problems for a month. 🤷‍♀️
I did throw them leftover chicken bone broth scraps the other day and wondered if that was a bad idea. All the bones in that were dissolved to mush from there presser cooker. Also, there is a moldy pumpkin in my compost that why have access to-but I haven’t seen them eating it.

Mold can be bad for birds, but I doubt anything you said caused the problem. Could you bring her inside and get her warm, and see if she is still acting that way?

Mold can be bad for birds, but I doubt anything you said caused the problem. Could you bring her inside and get her warm, and see if she is still acting that way?

She has been inside for two hours. She just sits with her eyes closed. She hasn’t pooped the whole time she has been indoors. Is that bad? We keep giving her water with a syringe.... she did take one piece of scrambled eggs from my hand. Her crop feels empty.

It could be worrisome she hasn't pooped in a while. I don't know why she would be acting this way, it could be something internal going on. You said you don't feel anything in the crop? Nothing at all? Sour crop or impacted crop would be my next guesses. Have you felt for a egg? Maybe she's egg bound.

It could be worrisome she hasn't pooped in a while. I don't know why she would be acting this way, it could be something internal going on. You said you don't feel anything in the crop? Nothing at all? Sour crop or impacted crop would be my next guesses. Have you felt for a egg? Maybe she's egg bound.
Her crop feels empty and soft. She does act like she is pushing when I feel her abdomen. I don’t know what I’m feeling for. 😬. The two bones on either side of her vent are still pretty close together- I didn’t think she was close to laying... can they get egg bound with a first egg?

Her crop feels empty and soft. She does act like she is pushing when I feel her abdomen. I don’t know what I’m feeling for. 😬. The two bones on either side of her vent are still pretty close together- I didn’t think she was close to laying... can they get egg bound with a first egg?
I don't know if they can, but I would assume its possible. Does she have worms? Coccidiosis? Have you seen one of her poops in the last few days?

I don't know if they can, but I would assume its possible. Does she have worms? Coccidiosis? Have you seen one of her poops in the last few days?
I wouldn’t know which one is hers but I haven’t checked. I assume if one does they all would right?? I will check!
Could she be dehydrated? We did put a new water bowl in the run with the cold weather- not sure that I have seen her use it.
She has had access to the other water sources in the afternoons. I let them out at about 10am.

I wouldn’t know which one is hers but I haven’t checked. I assume if one does they all would right?? I will check!
Could she be dehydrated? We did put a new water bowl in the run with the cold weather- not sure that I have seen her use it.
She has had access to the other water sources in the afternoons. I let them out at about 10am.
It's possible. Is the new waterer a different design, or just a bowl? Look for bloody poop or worms in the poop.

Back
Top Bottom