Sick birds at county fair!!!

TOP KNOT

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
SHERIDAN IL
My mom and I went to the fair, we always stop to see all of the animals. I could not believe my eyes!!! One chicken had a puffed up eye that had puss oozing out of it! All of the chickens from this one specific town entry had what I thought was pox!!! They had at least a dozen chickens that had snotty noses and blisters on their combs, face wattles, and vent area!!! I could not believe they would bring them to the fair like that to infect all of the other birds!!! Why would the fair let them enter them that way?? I told my mom NOT to touch ANYTHING!!! When I came home I carried my shoes in and put them and my cloths directly into the washer!!! I took a shower!! I may sound crazy, but I will take no chances of disease if I can help it!!!! Could I have confused this with something else?? I am pretty convinced the birds were not well.

Yes, those birds sound sick! I'd say that they have a respiratory disease and possibly Fowl Pox. Both diseases are contagious, and birds like that should certainly not be allowed to enter. When they are judged, all of those diseased birds should be disqualifed.

Yes, those birds sound sick! I'd say that they have a respiratory disease and possibly Fowl Pox. Both diseases are contagious, and birds like that should certainly not be allowed to enter. When they are judged, all of those diseased birds should be disqualifed.

X2!

You should talk to whoever is in charge, and maybe your county extension agent. The pus from eyes and the snotty noses are particularly distressing as they indicate probable viral respiratory disease, which is highly contagious and not curable.

Last edited:
My mom and I went to the fair, we always stop to see all of the animals. I could not believe my eyes!!! One chicken had a puffed up eye that had puss oozing out of it! All of the chickens from this one specific town entry had what I thought was pox!!! They had at least a dozen chickens that had snotty noses and blisters on their combs, face wattles, and vent area!!! I could not believe they would bring them to the fair like that to infect all of the other birds!!! Why would the fair let them enter them that way?? I told my mom NOT to touch ANYTHING!!! When I came home I carried my shoes in and put them and my cloths directly into the washer!!! I took a shower!! I may sound crazy, but I will take no chances of disease if I can help it!!!! Could I have confused this with something else?? I am pretty convinced the birds were not well.
If they looked like any of these then it was probably pox:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818895/lightbox/

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom