Sick birds, I'm sick of it, need best meds. HELP!

Quote:
Yes, I got all of that. I'm not treating them with anything for now, now that people are speaking up again. I found a site that lists all state vets and posted it above for others to find easily. Emailed them.

I read that the Ivomec Eprinex can be used orally. It floats, on top of the water, but withholding water and putting that in there as the only water for all to drink will work. True?

Eprinex is a POUR ON... (directly onto skin) -- not given orally.... and is a wormer that does not kill tapeworms, but does kill mites and lice.
Valbazen is the best all around wormer, kills every kind of worm.... but, does not kill mites. Seven dust, or "poultry dust" for mites (if you use Valbazen to worm). Both (each) would need to be repeated in 10 days, WITHDRAWAL PERIOD for Valbazen. Use search here on BYC for worming, how much valbazen to give, and use more recent postings for best info. Clean coop, roosts, etc... sprinkle some Seven Dust or Poultry Dust into the nesting boxes, over any dirt they "bathe" in, etc. Repeat in ten days.
I am assuming you know that giving the wrong kind or too much of anything can kill your chickens. And, it is always best to catch and dose EACH bird, to make sure that each one is getting the correct and accurate amount of medicine. Some antibiotics, like the Duramycin-10 (which is Tetracycline) is available at any feed store, and can be added to the drinking water for the entire flock, 1 tsp. per gallon. If antibiotics have already failed, then it is not a problem that is treatable with antibiotics, I would assume.
I suggest that since you are spending money on meds and have a large frustration level from all this -- the state vet, or any veterinarian that will examine and treat a chicken/birds would be your best, the thing to do.
It seemed my chickens kept getting sick... (repeatedly) -- I would treat them with antibiotics, and they would get sick again a week after stopping the antibiotics. I was tired of the sick birds, the withholding of eggs, all that... it was very frustrating.... until I found the right information on worming the correct way with the correct wormer.... I got them wormed and within 24 to 48 hours -- it was amazing... the dramatic difference in the chickens, the behavior, running, playing, mating more, laying more... and the one that was limping, stopped limping. The ones that were "droopy" perked up.
I was able to buy Valbazen from the feed store, from an open container he had.... so that I didn't have to buy a huge bottle for my smaller flock. I dosed them with the Valbazen 1/4 CC/ML per bantam... 1/2cc/ml per Standard size chicken.. each one, ORALLY... careful not to put it in their windpipe... had to have a neighbor catch each one, one at a time, he held them, I dosed them. Repeated it in ten days... Withholding eggs (or culling) from the first dose.. to the 15th day after the second dose.
I know... that seems a long time. Clearly, you would need help to do this worming. And, while it might be right and suggested to wait to do this for ANY OTHER med to get out of their system.. you might need to go ahead and worm, if you have not wormed EFFECTIVELY yet. If you have wormed with anything, you need to wait ten days before worming again. Worms can kill a chicken, all your chickens, and the symptoms are varied from my experience. And, I never saw a worm in their poop either.
Look for recent posts on worming from dawg53. Look at all the information..... use the search and you can rely on information on worming provided by dawg53, he gives dosage and types of wormer info. We all learn as we go and experience, so recent posts are better for up-to-date info than older posts.
I am no experienced expert, do not take my word... I am just trying to give some information from my experience. I hope some part of it helps, or gets you to the right information.
Good luck.

Yeah, I agree. First step would be in finding out exactly what you are dealing with. State vets will also send someone out to do some testing for you. But, if the results are bad you need to be prepared for them to take your flock. Probably varies state by state. Here in Az. they do it at no charge and only pull your birds if it is avian flu or a couple of other really scary diseases. In the mean time misting with oxine (regular not activated stuff) might help. Kills fungal, viral and bacterial baddies. It won't hurt, can only help.

Oooopss missed your post that you found the state vet info. Good luck and keep us informed. When people don't post their outcomes I always wonder how it all turned out.

Last edited:
The ones who get the bad leg, it's a leg they cannot really use or control. Not just a limp, but the leg becomes fairly worthless, can bend from the hip, but no more control from any point lower.

The one sister is still doing well, her sister likes to come by and sit with her in the crate.
I wormed some more chickens I didn't get the last time. 1st wormer birds that were sick are still sick, no difference.
I believe this is two different things, since the symptoms are different and split apart.

Got an email back, waiting for another person to contact me with info.

Just an update, no freaking please.

Got two more emails, it's free and there is a place in Warrenton, so I can drive up there. I am not sure if I should bother going now with a sick live bird that doesn't have the other symptoms or wait until the sis w/bum leg either passes or gets better and then go. Either way, it's raining all week, so I will have to wait awhile. We all know how most people cannot drive in the rain...or anything other than calm sunshine..lol!

Last edited:
It sounds like it could be 2 different problems to me also. Will they test more than 1 bird?? When I had mine done, they tested 5 birds. Live birds, just did a throat swab on each. It was 2 weeks before I got the results though.

I know you are sick of all this. Keep up your spirits. Sounds like an answer is getting closer.

hugs.gif

..p.s.. if you do decide to drive in bad weather, be careful!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Here is what he emailed me. So I guess a bunch of stuff.
"Yes, we will test the bird(s) you bring in for avian influenza (which we probably would do anyway to make sure that is not what is causing the problem), but because we do so, we can perform the rest of the testing we need to do to help you figure out the problem for free."

Back
Top Bottom