Sick birds? Not sure

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Southern Gardener, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have 15 hens, my oldest hen stared out with diarrhea and three more have it now. They are loosing feathers on their bums, although my oldest one seems to be over it and her feathers are starting to grow back now.

There are NO signs of:

blood in poop
    worms in poop
    lack of appetite
    lethargy

They are all eating like pigs and I have not given them any treats or scraps in a week to see if this will clear up. My hens don't free range and I have never wormed them. Any ideas to what this is and anything I can give them to stop it? I'm really concerned about my speckled sussex - she's had it the worst and the longest, but she shows absolutely no signs of being sick.

Thanks.

2. Major Buff Orpington

Major Buff Orpington Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    I have some Marans that have been sneezing but not showing signs of sickness. I took them to the vet and he's given them a course of Baytril anti- biotic just to be sure.
    If you're concerned I'd take the Speckled Sussex to the vet. Like humans I should imagine prolonged tummy troubles can deplete the body of essential salts and result in death. The vet could maybe give something to put in the water for the whole flock.

Regards,
    MBO

3. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Are they actually pooping diarrhea, or is it ceacal? Chickens regularly have watery poop, and it's perfectly normal.

Check out this pictorial guide of chicken poop, normal and unhealthy: 4. Poo - The Chicken Keeper's Guide

4. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    No, it's diarrhea. I called my vet last week and they know nothing about chickens.

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are your birds? Please describe the color and consistency of the diarrhea.

6. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Quote:2 and 3 years old. Brown and runny. I called another vet today and he told me to worm them and treat them for a bacterial infection. I bought Wazine 17 and Sulmet - sulfamethazine sodium 12.5%. I'm wondering which one I should use first? any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by