sick black cooper maran

gollum18

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
My hen quit laying but I attributed it to trauma (a hawk got a fellow chicken) and bad weather. She has not started laying again but my other one has. I just noticed her bottom swollen and red. What could it be and how can I help? she seems to be ok other than this but it looks awful.

welcome-byc.gif

Not sure what could be ailing her - hopefully nothing major .... Wish I could help ...

try filling this out to give others more info so they might be able to better help you figure it out ... there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and I'm sure someone will come along with an idea for you.

copied and pasted from the sticky in this category .....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Remember that we are not veterinarians. We help based on our own research and experiences.
We cannot monitor the board 24/7, and therefore do not guarantee we can always help, much as we would wish to.
We should never be a replacement if real medical attention is required.
If your situation seems to require a trip to the vet, please do so. It is always a good idea to know of an avian vet in your area in case your situation is bad enough that we cannot help. We encourage you to visit the Reference Forum and read up there before you need the information.

Some important links to read:

Links to disease symptoms and information
Chicken Anatomy
Friendly Reminder-PLEASE Quarantine Newly Purchased Birds!

Thank you!

The BYC Staff

sounds like she is egg bound.
check this link out
You can try two things - placing her in a warm, dim place where she can sit and relax. The key is to relax her muscles so she can pass the egg.

Or you can try standing her in a bowl of warm water, which she'll drop her vent/cloaca into, and this can help relax the muscles. I've heard this method can be pretty succesful, but please make sure you dry her off thoroughly before she goes back outside.

If neither of these work, you can go to a vet who may try to syringe out the contents of the egg, then remove the shell bit by bit. However, as soon as the egg breaks or is broken, her chances reduce dramaticaly as the chances of infection are high. So it is best to try to get her to pass the egg herself.

At the same time, this is a critical situation, to speed is of the essence.

Fingers crossed for her,

You say her bum is swollen and sore looking - without pics posted it is hard to know what your really seeing. Could be egg bound - but also may be a prolapse?
Red swelling out of the bottom. If it is a prolapse you need to remove her from the others and treat with honey and gently push back in. But we have to be sure it is a prolapse as either of these things Egg bound and prolapse could be what your discribing? As the other poater said were not Vets all we can do is draw from our own experience and try to help. It would be better if we could see a pic.

Oesdog
hmm.png

The OP sent me a PM with the following info ....

Maybe someone on here will have more info for him ? I replied and let him know I would post it here ...

Thanks for your reply. answer to questions you sent
1. barred rock
2.weezing
3. 2.5 weeks
4.no
5.no
6.don't know
7. 16% layer pellets
8. normal
9. 200mg tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder-antibiotic 1gram in 16ounces of water per day bought at feed store
10.treat myself
11. It would look normal in picture
12.fir shavings bought at feed store they seem to like it and i keep clean

I am trying my best to do the right thing by asking lots of questions

the package Terra-Vet 10 said 200mg to 400mg they also told me to to try 400mg for a week

I am interested in all suggestions your feedback is important to me. thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom