Sick Black Sex Link! Please help!!!

MeganSteffens

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
My 2 year old black sex link hen has been very lethargic lately. She lays down frequently and hardly walks. She will not eat no matter what I give her but she will constantly drink. She has had no previous health issues. She's a bit overweight and from what I can tell has no external issues. Tiny black dots are on what I think are her ears but they aren't mites and parasites (I think). The dots seem to be almost in her ear. I can't tell if she has trouble walking or if she's just too weak to. Please help! All ideas are appreciated!

She might have marek's if she truly can't stand (paralysed) but dehydration isn't a symptom of mareks disease. She could be drinking excessively if she hasn't had water for a while since she became paralysed. The diarrhea is usually green/white with Mareks Disease. It is common in backyard flocks, caused by a herpes virus. The virus is usually passed on from wild birds such as doves and sparrows that eat from the chickens feeders. Mosquitoes can also transmit it. There is other diseases that cause lameness but most are accompanied by respiratory problems such as bubbly eyes, rattly breathing etc. It is best to separate her from the rest of the flock and make sure she has access to food and water. As the virus persists she may get 'jagged' shaped pupils and paralysed wings. It can affect any age of chickens.

I am not definite that it is mareks but it sounds like the most likely scenario at the moment.

My 2 year old black sex link hen has been very lethargic lately. She lays down frequently and hardly walks. She will not eat no matter what I give her but she will constantly drink. She has had no previous health issues. She's a bit overweight and from what I can tell has no external issues. Tiny black dots are on what I think are her ears but they aren't mites and parasites (I think). The dots seem to be almost in her ear. I can't tell if she has trouble walking or if she's just too weak to. Please help! All ideas are appreciated!

When was the last time she laid an egg?
How does her abdomen feel - hard, soft, fluid filled, bloated?
Have you check her legs and feet (bottoms too) for any sign of injury or bumblefoot?
What does her poop look like?
Has she been wormed?

Keep her hydrated and offer some wet feed, scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna or mackerel.

Do check her over for any signs of lice/mites - look around the vent and under the wings.

When was the last time she laid an egg?
How does her abdomen feel - hard, soft, fluid filled, bloated?
Have you check her legs and feet (bottoms too) for any sign of injury or bumblefoot?
Has she been wormed?

Keep her hydrated and offer some wet feed, scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna or mackerel.

Do check her over for any signs of lice/mites - look around the vent and under the wings.

Her abdomen is soft. She doesn't have lice or mites. Her poop is white. I don't think she's been laying eggs though. Could she be acting Ike this because of bumble foot?

Does she have bumblefoot?
What does her legs, feet and the bottom of her feet look like -- any sores or scabs?

She has a scab on one foot that I can easily pick off. Her feet and legs look the same as they always have been. Just like any other sex link. But she won't eat either so I don't know if it is her legs and feet that are causing her to be like this

She has a scab on one foot that I can easily pick off. Her feet and legs look the same as they always have been. Just like any other sex link. But she won't eat either so I don't know if it is her legs and feet that are causing her to be like this

A photo of the foot would be helpful.

You may want to separate her so you can monitor her more closely - see exactly if she is eating/drinking and pooping.
She may have a crop issue so separating her helps you determine this as well.
Crop should be full at night, then empty in the am before she has had anything to eat or drink.

You may also want to take a fecal sample to your vet to have a fecal float performed just in case she has worms.

Her comb and wattles are nice and bright and she seems alert.

A photo of the foot would be helpful.

You may want to separate her so you can monitor her more closely - see exactly if she is eating/drinking and pooping.
She may have a crop issue so separating her helps you determine this as well.
Crop should be full at night, then empty in the am before she has had anything to eat or drink.

You may also want to take a fecal sample to your vet to have a fecal float performed just in case she has worms.

Her comb and wattles are nice and bright and she seems alert.

Thank you very much for this help!

This is the foot I suspect has it. Her poop is basically liquid with white and brown

Back
Top Bottom