sick budgie.. please help.

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I keep and breed budgies for many years and have about 30 at the moment. Sometimes one will get ill and I an quite experienced with knowing what the problem is and treating it myself... because the vets here won't treat birds at all!!

However, one of my birds is ill and has got me stumped what is wrong,

I noticed him inactive in the aviary, was very fluffed up and his tail bobbing up and down, and he was sleeping a lot all day, so I thought he had a respiratory disease and caught him to give him a check up.

He was making clicking and congested noises when breathing. He is still nice and plump. This illness has happened suddenly. He was really inactive and quite weak, and looked like he would die.

I put him in a hospital cage under a heat lamp, and put anti biotics in his water, and feeding him seed mixed with egg food for extra protein. I also put his best budgie friend in with him (as I find they get encouraged to eat and move about when they have company, and get less stressed).

That was 3 days ago. He has perked up a lot. No longer fluffed up, and is very active. His poops are all normal and his breathing is a lot better, although his tail still bobs a bit. But he is not making any sounds at all.. no chirping or anything, but no congested noises.

The thing that is concerning me is he is constantly trying to be sick. He will bob his head and lower it down to his tummy. He was not doing then when I first put him in the cage. He is never actually sick though. Its like something is stuck in his throat.

Anyone know what this might be or how to help him?

Thanks.

PS. How long do budgies normally live? Thinking about my birds some of them are nearly 12 years old now... so maybe he is just getting to the end of his natural life? His name is Tweety and I am very attacked to him.

I'm no expert but 12yrs is "aged", you've done great keeping your birds healthy & maintained. Sounds like you're doing all the right things in nursing him back to health, have you tried looking in his throat? Maybe he got something stuck? I hope someone with more Budgie experience will chime in soon. You may want to also post in the Emergencies, Illness, Injuries & Cures forum also. :hugs :fl

I'm no expert but 12yrs is "aged", you've done great keeping your birds healthy & maintained. Sounds like you're doing all the right things in nursing him back to health, have you tried looking in his throat? Maybe he got something stuck? I hope someone with more Budgie experience will chime in soon. You may want to also post in the Emergencies, Illness, Injuries & Cures forum also. :hugs :fl

Thanks for the quick reply. I have taken you advise and looked in his throat. It's too difficult to look right down, but I can't see anything in his beak, mouth or first part of his throat. I am wondering if he was congested before and now he trying to cough up the dried up mucus?

He is even more lively this afternoon.. and is chasing his mate up and down giving each other kisses and playing a lot. I am hopeful he will make a good recovery. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the help.

-living to 12 is phenomenal for a budgie! (Ours passed at 8 peacefully/suddenly due to age). -sounds like you are doing everything right! I cannot think of anything that hasn't already been done or suggested. -hope that he continues to thrive and improve!

I keep and breed budgies for many years and have about 30 at the moment. Sometimes one will get ill and I an quite experienced with knowing what the problem is and treating it myself... because the vets here won't treat birds at all!!

However, one of my birds is ill and has got me stumped what is wrong,

I noticed him inactive in the aviary, was very fluffed up and his tail bobbing up and down, and he was sleeping a lot all day, so I thought he had a respiratory disease and caught him to give him a check up.

He was making clicking and congested noises when breathing. He is still nice and plump. This illness has happened suddenly. He was really inactive and quite weak, and looked like he would die.

I put him in a hospital cage under a heat lamp, and put anti biotics in his water, and feeding him seed mixed with egg food for extra protein. I also put his best budgie friend in with him (as I find they get encouraged to eat and move about when they have company, and get less stressed).

That was 3 days ago. He has perked up a lot. No longer fluffed up, and is very active. His poops are all normal and his breathing is a lot better, although his tail still bobs a bit. But he is not making any sounds at all.. no chirping or anything, but no congested noises.

The thing that is concerning me is he is constantly trying to be sick. He will bob his head and lower it down to his tummy. He was not doing then when I first put him in the cage. He is never actually sick though. Its like something is stuck in his throat.

Anyone know what this might be or how to help him?

Thanks.

PS. How long do budgies normally live? Thinking about my birds some of them are nearly 12 years old now... so maybe he is just getting to the end of his natural life? His name is Tweety and I am very attacked to him.

I'm glad to learn that your bird is doing better and feeling better. I'm really glad that you put his best friend in there with him. That was an excellent notion and I'm sure it helped. I'm not sure about the life span of budgies, but I had a cockatail that lived to be 22 years old. She was an amazing bird/friend!

I had my oldest Cockatiel live to be 23. For the last year he would sometimes spit up his food. Sometimes he would do what you describe, with no food spit up. I gave him soft food and extra gravel for that last year. Scrambled egg if your bird will eat it, or boiled egg yolk crumbs.

Back
Top Bottom