Sick call duck? Please HELP a new duck owner...

Okay....we may be on to something. I just snagged the tag from the feedbag...and no niacin mentioned:

20% crude protein
.95% lysine
.35% methionide
35% crude fat
5% crude fiber
.8% calcium
.35% phosphorous
.35% salt
7000.00IU/LB Vitamin A
14.00IU/LB Vitamin E

--Can I buy Niacin at Tractor Supply as a supplement?

I was told to try duramycin or tylan when I thought my duck had this. Turned out she had just irritated eyes (I think) and I used a spray and some swimming cleared her up.

The tylan was available from Tractor Supply but I was not comfortable giving her a shot so I got an antibiotic for her water. Keep your little guy separate from the other duck and keep an eye on the other one to make sure that he hasn't given it to him.

I was only able to get niacin in 500 mg capsules so I would open it and sprinkle a little of it into the water. You can also try a feed store for a vitamin/electrolyte mix for the water. The one my feed store sells has niacin in it.

Wish I could help more but I'm rather new to ducks myself. Good luck and let us know how it goes
smile.png

You can get niacin capsules at the nearest drugstore. And, we'll need to search the forum or get someone to help us out, but I think unflavored pedialyte can do in a pinch for electrolytes.

I don't want to suggest you do anything contrary to your culture (based on the day of the week), but there may be a store nearby that is open that carries these things, near you, so you can start offering the supplements very soon. If that's not an option, if you have some dry cat kibble that you could crush and offer a few tablespoons, that should have some niacin in it. I feed a little kibble to my ducks as a protein and calorie supplement, so it should not hurt your call (I have ten runners).

Last edited:
I really appreciate any input I can get. I certainly can't cure my DD's broken heart if I don't try to cure him. I do have some Tylan and will start him on that now. Warm bath for sure tonight. I'll get some niacin tomorrow....can't seem to go a week without hitting the feedstore anyhow.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me.

From the Pedialyte website:

Unflavored Ready to Feed

Pedialyte Ready to Feed Unflavored / 1-L Bottle / Case of 8
Pedialyte Ready to Feed Unflavored Institutional / 2-fl-oz Bottle / case of 48

Water, Dextrose. Less than 2% of the Following: Potassium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, and Zinc Gluconate.

I hope she feels better!

Thanks, JosieR!

The pedialyte doesn't have niacin, so that needs to be added - katharinad explained the recipe she used in that link I posted.

Oh, these little duckies! It's nerve-wracking when they're sick!

Hey folks, I'm gonna share something I was told yesterday by a guy that breeds Calls(in reference to a sinus infection) and you can do with the info what you will-just tossing it out to see what you all think...here goes.
He told me, in the event of a sinus infection in Calls to put 2-3 capfuls of bleach in their swimming water because it kills the bacteria in their nares.
What do you all think of this? I've never done it, but he said he got the info from one of the big Call breeders.
Does it sound safe?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom