Sick call duck? Please HELP a new duck owner...

Well, bleach is often used to kill bacteria. But it kills the helpful bacteria in the gut, too, so, because of that and the fact that bleach gives me asthma, I avoid it.

The principle of killing germs in water is good - I prefer apple cider vinegar for its purported antibacterial properties.

Quote:
That's exactly what duckluck told me, the concern over the gut flora.
Thanks, Amiga, I was a bit concerned about the idea. I'm one of those people that take my ducks to the vet if I think there's anything wrong with them.
hide.gif

Quote:
I asked my husband about the Oxine, Miss Lydia and he thought it would be safer than straight bleach as well. It just sounded a tad harsh on their systems to me.
You know how big of an Oxine fan I am.
smile.png

2% chlorine dioxide, active ingredient. I would want to learn a bit more about it - good link, thanks, Miss Lydia. Need to spend a little time looking at that before I would use it.

For now vinegar followed with H2O2 will work, I trust.

Doesn't it seem like one needs to make hundreds of decisions about all this stuff, balancing concerns about bacteria with concerns about the products? Sheesh. Just like with medicines, there can be side effects. . . We do what we can.

Dixiechick,

I did not mean to hijack . . . .please let us know how the little precious call duck is doing, soon, okay???? I hope you're with him, enjoying his company.

Quote:
Are you able to get a feed formulated specifically for ducks, such as Purina Duck Grower or Mazuri Waterfowl feed? Feed formulated for ducks usually has good B vitains in it already, but I still add some brewer's yeast and dried kelp.

Back
Top Bottom