Sick Cayuga duck

NOTALLROOS

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2015
Reduced swimming, quacking, eating, thinner. He is18 years old. Is there anything I can do? Or is he just at the end of his lifespan? Gets duck chow, meal worm, no toxic plants in pen. Will give poultry drench. No other symptoms.

Reduced swimming, quacking, eating, thinner. He is18 years old. Is there anything I can do? Or is he just at the end of his lifespan? Gets duck chow, meal worm, no toxic plants in pen. Will give poultry drench. No other symptoms.
Wow and I thought losing mine at close to 12 yrs was old.

Sounds like he is slowing down and could be you may lose him soon but I'd keep using the Nutri drench and offering all the food he wants. He's lived a long life and who knows with a little extra support maybe he'll be around for sometime yet.

Too have a duck[drake] 18 yrs shows just how much you have taken care of him over the years.

@NOTALLROOS

I feel so sad. I always gave him the best. He has always been very aggressive, my friends laugh at me..they named him: "Lucky Duck" He is not aggressive now, I know he is sick. I suspect he is just nearing the end. My Bantam hen, same age, is fine. They are not supposed to live as long as a duck. Poor Lucky, I will do all I can.
1f622.png

I feel so sad. I always gave him the best. He has always been very aggressive, my friends laugh at me..they named him: "Lucky Duck" He is not aggressive now, I know he is sick. I suspect he is just nearing the end. My Bantam hen, same age, is fine. They are not supposed to live as long as a duck. Poor Lucky, I will do all I can.
1f622.png

At this age that is about all you can do, keep him comfortable and let him know you care.

And you have a Bantam hen same age wow that is amazing, I have 1 that's 8yrs that would be so neat if she lived that long.

I'm sorry you're having to experience this with him. He sounds like he is much loved and will be greatly missed.

I haven't dealt with this in my ducks yet but I have experienced it with dogs and horses (they also live very long times 20+ years with average care 30+ with great care).

When I knew that my beloved dog or horse was nearing the end I spoiled them but not to the point of making them unhealthy.

I'm sure they enjoyed the extra activities (hikes, trail riding) and their favorite foods/treats. It was mostly to help me feel reassured that they had the happiest days possible for as long as possible.

For your drake may I suggest low sodium/ unsalted canned beets for a healthy treat. They're inexpensive (around $0.60 a can for the small can and $0.80 a can for the large can in my area) and beets are known for their blood/liver/pancreas/bone support. If he likes them you may want to feed those to him separately so his flock mates cant out compete him.

I went through a period of thinness for my grieving duck that lost her partner in February. I actually fed her her favorite canned dog food until she stopped grieving. It kept her in glossy and in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom