Sick Chick 6 Week

kateschickens1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
I bought a 6 week old RIR chick. The first few days we had her, she was really curious and loved to go explore everywhere, now shes staying in one place and closing her eyes almost all the time. This has persisted for about 2 days. The owner we bought from had her in a really small cage with lots of chicks. I also think the food they fed them wasn't good quality. We got 4 from there, one was sick from vitamin deficiency, but we fed her B Vitamin in water and now she's healthy. The RIR will only eat when we push her beak in the food. I've been also giving her water with vitamin B, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I was wondering if there were any foods that I could give her that might help. The other chick might have spread what she had to the RIR. Has anyone had any chicks like this and/or know what to do? Any help is appreciated.

I bought a 6 week old RIR chick. The first few days we had her, she was really curious and loved to go explore everywhere, now shes staying in one place and closing her eyes almost all the time. This has persisted for about 2 days. The owner we bought from had her in a really small cage with lots of chicks. I also think the food they fed them wasn't good quality. We got 4 from there, one was sick from vitamin deficiency, but we fed her B Vitamin in water and now she's healthy. The RIR will only eat when we push her beak in the food. I've been also giving her water with vitamin B, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I was wondering if there were any foods that I could give her that might help. The other chick might have spread what she had to the RIR. Has anyone had any chicks like this and/or know what to do? Any help is appreciated.
Does she have grit? If eating anything other than chick feed,they need grit. Look up info for Coccidiosis,cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings,very common for chicks to have an overload of cocci. Cocci can kill very fast,some symptoms are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly. If symptoms match,purchase Corid(amprolium),dosage for Corid powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water,dosage for Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,treat all chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment.

Last edited:
She does have grit. There's a small amount mixed in with her feed. But she doesn't eat too much so she probably hasn't had enough grit. I'll look more into the corid.

She does have grit. There's a small amount mixed in with her feed. But she doesn't eat too much so she probably hasn't had enough grit. I'll look more into the corid.
Yes,treating with Corid for Cocci,will not harm chicks,but not treating them if they have Cocci,will probably kill them,.

I looked at a few posts about Cocci and now I'm sure that's what she has.
http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/Ors...starter-5-lb?&query=amprolium&hits=12&offset=
This was the only product I found on the Orscheln's website with Amprolium in it. Would this be enough? Should I buy it?
Thanks for your information.
No,this is medicated chick starter feed with Amprolium in it,but not enough for an overload of Cocci. Medicated feed is given to chicks to help control cocci,but does not always prevent it. You need to purchase Corid(amprolium)20% powder or 9.6% liquid,in Canada i have to purchase from a vet(it is not expensive)in the U.S i think you can purchase from a livestock/feed store,call ahead to make sure they carry it. Make sure no vitamins are given during treatment,they interfere with the ability of the medication to work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom