sick chick ,chicky died :(

lacyloo

Cooped Up
12 Years
May 26, 2007
north florida
Ok one of my day old chicks is sick.When i found him alone in the corner of the nest alone and cold. So when i picked him up i noticed sominthing is wrong with his neck. He is holding his head upside down. I think one of the other hens pecked him on the head but there is no marks. so he is in my room with a light on him .Im taking his chick starter and mixing it with water and i hold him a certain way and feed him with a suringe and i give him water mixed with sugar with the suringe. Does anybody have a clue whats wrong with him it is neruligle or sominthing but i hate to see the little guy suffer. please help !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a large crested breed it could have gotten pecked and now have brain damage as large crests are often associated with holes in the skull. I would also be very careful at force feeding with syringes since they do not swallow like us and it is very easy to get food into their lungs.

ok the chick is doing better he is trying to hold his head up and walk a little then he fall down and twiches. I also found a little lump on the side of his/her head i think thats were it got pecked, also it a feather footed bantam mix.

does any one have a recipe for electrolites ?

thaks, for the info

I would give the little guy sugar water, a heat light and food and keep him separated. Other than that there's not much you can do except wait and see. I know you want to feed him but chickens don't have the swallowing response we do so you'd make it worse. If he refuses to eat, it's the animal's way of not prolonging their pain, so you have to let nature take it's course. I wish you luck.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom