Sick chick, dropping head plays dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nick97, Feb 16, 2015.

1. nick97

nick97 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Okay so I acquired two buff orphingtons but one is severely ill to point where its head is droopy and won't eat or drink unless I dip beak into water and barely sips any water. Next it acts dead and its eyes are closed but occasionally opens them. The other chick is fine but I feel as if this one won't make it. Ps, I got from local breeder.

2. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    I believe its become lethargic based on my research in forum. BtW its a buff orphington
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have them under a heat lamp with a temperature of 90 degrees F on the floor? I would get some electrolytes such as SaveAChick, or use pedialyte, and get her to drink as much as possible all day. Sprinkle some chick crumbles on paper towels on the floor to get them interested in food. Check it's vent area for any pasty butt, and clean it off if necessary. It can be common to lose a new chick that is weak.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute* which is potassium
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water

4. nick97

Feb 20, 2014
    Yes its currently 93* on floor. And to break the news she passed away this morning. ): but the other chick and two guineas are fine and perked up. But I will give them some save electrolytes to be safe.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by