sick chick help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jnkir7, Oct 11, 2009.

1. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    my broody has a chick with droopy wings its eating and active but its not looking right anything i should do [​IMG]:th [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
  3. jnkir7

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    [​IMG] ok its a turken baby two weeks , i hatched it than let the broody raise them , she sleeps in the coop with the others on wood chips, she eats good plays good but suddenly her wings are very droopy, like a setting hen but im woried about her, i really want theese turkens . her poop is good its been very wet here but the run is covered so she isnt getting wet. [​IMG] i just thought i may need to put him under a light for a few days any ideas

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would do an exam and check out the crop - make sure it isn't hard like something's stuck in there. And just check him out all over and see if anything is suspect.

Next, i would watch for bloody feces or if the chick starts fluffing up and getting lethargic.

My first suspicion is coccidiosis.

And honestly, if anyone else seconds that thought, i would go ahead and medicate all the chicks with Corid so it doesn't get out of hand.

5. jnkir7

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    [​IMG] thank-you

6. Raising baby chicks under a broody that is NOT isolated from the rest of the flock it risky business. They are exposed to every thing the flock may carry including cocci.

I would isolate your broody and her babies and start feeding medicated starter and fresh water everyday.

As far as medication: I just do not know. So many things can be wrong including a genetic disorder.

Put a heat lamp or heat coil in with your hen a baby. Keep them warm and clean.

I have babies running the barn and they are no longer with their mommy. Some are doing just fine and a few are not so well.

If I have a baby that is precious to me, like a wild hen and roo pair hatch, they stay in the nurseries until the mom wants nothing to do with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by