Sick chick, lethargic, not eating or drinking.

SomeChookLover

Chirping
Sep 24, 2023
Never sure how to start these so I’ll get straight to the point. I came home today to find the smallest of my 17 day old chicks alone on the ground. I’ve been away for 2 days so I’m not sure how long she was there. It’s dusk so the rest had jumped into the nesting box with Kiki (their mum.) She was half sitting, chirping but keeping her eyes closed (she does open them but wants to keep them closed. ) It wasn’t hot today but was the past few days and I checked in her beak and I don’t think she’s been drinking. She’s also very off balanced and not walking much. I’d say it’s highly likely she hasn’t been eating. She also hasn’t pooped as far as I’ve seen. We’ve given her some water through a syringe and she was quite cold so is currently cuddled up with me, (normally I’d put her under Kiki but I want to keep an eye on her.) she’s always seemed a little weaker than her siblings and I’m wondering if anyone has some recommendations or possible illnesses she might have. Thanks.

Never sure how to start these so I’ll get straight to the point. I came home today to find the smallest of my 17 day old chicks alone on the ground. I’ve been away for 2 days so I’m not sure how long she was there. It’s dusk so the rest had jumped into the nesting box with Kiki (their mum.) She was half sitting, chirping but keeping her eyes closed (she does open them but wants to keep them closed. ) It wasn’t hot today but was the past few days and I checked in her beak and I don’t think she’s been drinking. She’s also very off balanced and not walking much. I’d say it’s highly likely she hasn’t been eating. She also hasn’t pooped as far as I’ve seen. We’ve given her some water through a syringe and she was quite cold so is currently cuddled up with me, (normally I’d put her under Kiki but I want to keep an eye on her.) she’s always seemed a little weaker than her siblings and I’m wondering if anyone has some recommendations or possible illnesses she might have. Thanks.
Let us know how she does after eating a little and getting all warmed up...

I would give some electrolyte water, Gatorade, Pedialyte, or mix some water with 1 tsp of sugar per cup, and get her hydrated as well as warm. Then you can offer some moistened egg and chick feed. Hopefully, she will be revived, but watch over her carefully before placing her back with the broody. Let us know how she gets along.

She started doing better after drinking and warming up but she wasn’t able to eat much. I put her under Kiki for the night but this morning when I went to check on her she'd taken a turn for the worst. She was out of the nesting box next to the feeder but lying on her side not moving. I picked her up and began warming her up again and to my surprise she has become more responsive, chirping and shuffling towards my hand.

Back
Top Bottom