Sick chick-Lethargic

apbgv

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Iowa
This am when I went to take care of the seramas in my house(basement) one of my 3mos old pullets was sitting by herself, puffed up, one eye closed. She was fine yesterday am, by the time I got home last night all were sleeping. Her crop is empty today so I know she isn't eating, I did get her to drink some water, was going to seperate her from her 2 pals but she became very upset. They aren't picking on her. she just seems very blah, no wounds no missing feathers. she looks fine otherwise. They haven't been outside and I hatched these out. any ideas?

please describe her droppings..color and consistency.

she either has cocci or respiratory illness.
do you have any Sulmet? or Corid or Amprol or any
antibiotics?

wash the eye with clean warm water, and clear any mucus..
treat with antibiotic eye ointment..found at far/feed/livestock supply stores.

never mind she died. all others are fine. Droppings in pen have all been normal. no mucous no nothing just sick and weak.
sad.png
then dead

Hi -- I've been having the same problem this week, though it's been affecting more than one chicken. The chicken gets lethargic, not pecking, looking a little puffy. Our chickens are free-range, but we've been isolating those in a pen and giving them feed. Some have recovered, some die.

We're just starting to see some diarrhea, but that is the only other symptom that we've seen so far. No blood.

We didn't want to jump to medications, so we've just been trying to make sure they have easy access to food and water, and now I'm feeding them raw milk.

so sorry you lost your little Serama
sad.png

@Jim:
Did you use medicated starter? I would suggest you get a faecal to determine if cocci or worms ( these two occur most commonly with similar symptoms >the meds to treat them are different)

Quote:
Hi, no we didn't use medicated starter. Is the fecal test something we can pick up ourselves at the store. or does it require a vet?

Back
Top Bottom