Sick Chick, Need Advice Please!

Emmasmom

Songster
Apr 14, 2012
Buckeye, AZ
Okay, so I have a two week old chick that has a history of pasty butt. A friend brought her home from a feed store after she was getting picked on by other chicks. She had her and helped the chick recover for a week and a half or so - although she still has pasty butt. She gave her to me yesterday to eventually join my flock - but I haven't dealt with pasty butt before. After cleaning it last night she laid down and has not got up again (she was hopping around fine when I brought her home). It kind of looks like she may be constipated - she isn't pooping very much. To try and perk her up I mixed powdered probiotics and electrolytes with her water and gave her hard boiled egg yolk with a little yogurt mixed in. She ate and drank some today and pooped a couple times, but has not gotten on her feet. Her feet are curled underneath her and she refuses to use them much. I was also given two other chicks who are doing just fine. I understand the intestinal issues are common, and they often don't make it, but she's been through so much and I want to do the best I can for her. Has anyone had a similar situation where the chick pulled through? How long do they take to perk back up? Are her legs injured or do they do that when they're hurting? Is there anything else I can be doing for her? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm really not sure where to go from here. Thanks for any help!

Pasty butt is usually from dehydration or too high a brooder temperature. The curled toes issue might be just a vitamin deficiency--get some Polyvisol baby vitamins and give her a drop or two twice a day for a couple of days, and note if there is improvement. If it is a toe issue related to hatching in the incubator, you might be better off culling. Sorry.

Hay i have a sick chick. a lil less than 4 months old. have 11 the same age and shes the only one. she was layin in the nesting box and i picker her up she cant even stand! it breakin my heart. any advice. she jus wont stand she eats and drinks but idk what to do. why only her. they all eat the same food. all sleep together. plz help

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely check out the vitamins. She has been on her feet, except for the last 24 hrs - so maybe it's a vitamin thing, unless the defect can show up a couple weeks after hatching.

I noticed the electrolyte supplement I'm giving her has vitamins. Should that be enough or are there other supplements I should add? How long does it take for a chick to get back on its feet after starting vitamins? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom