Sick chick need help please

dmaldet

Songster
6 Years
Apr 21, 2016
Lititz, PA
Have a olive egger approximately 6-7 weeks old. Found her in the coop not wanting to come out w the others. Usually if one doesn't come out I walk out and out it runs.

Didn't move very lethargic and feels cool to touch. I looked all over and see nothing. I brought her into the mudroom to seperate. Put food and water in bin. Not getting up to eat or drink.

Am I too late???!

Give her some water with a dropper, and add some SaveAChick or electrolytes. Look her over for an impacted crop, and mites or lice. I suspect she could be sick with coccidiosis at that age. Symptoms are sleepiness, standing puffed up or hunched, not eating, ruffled feathers, and diarrhea or blood in poop. Corid liquid or powder from a feed store cattle section is good for treatment. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid, per gallon of water for 5 days. Treat all of your same age birds. Afterward, give them a little plain probiotic yogurt and some poultry vitamins for a few days.

Last edited:
We use medicated chic starter also. Is that okay with the medication. And should I keep food available or take it away?

I have looked all over the chick and I see nothing. I have it seperate so I can keep an eye on it.

Also they free range. Should I keep the in the coop for the five days?

I have probiotics w vitamins. But only have oxytetracycline on hand. I can pick up the other as soon as husband comes home.

It does look like it has not been eating. Very thin. I feel terrible for not noticing. Maybe I will check everyone when I put them in the coop. We had our first death a couple weeks ago. I'm starting to panic.

Back
Top Bottom