Sick chick! Please help!

mandalorian

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2017
NSW, Australia
I have a little bantam chick who had a slight breathing click when it hatched, but now (1 and a half weeks later) it's very loud and rocks the whole chicks body! It's cheep sounds funny too...

I checked on it earlier and found it laying, almost dead with blown pupils, and I rushed to check its temperature and it was 47 degrees C!! So I ran the baby under cold water and got it down to 37, it's pupils respond to light again, but it's breathing isn't getting any better... it also is very unsteady on its feet

If anyone knows what's wrong or how to fix this, I would really appreciate!

Last edited:
Do any of the following things that you can-
  1. Air Sac Disease- If it is this, you would want to keep the chick warm and well fed with high-protein rations and a vitamin E supplement, although this is a pretty fatal disease, and survivors remain carriers.
  2. Avian Influenza (low pathogenicity)- This is pretty rare, although not quite as rare as the high pathogenicity one. There is no cure, but it's far less fatal, however can evolve into high pathogenicity, but not likely.
  3. Brooder pneumonia- There is no effective treatment, so the humane thing would be to put it down if this is what it has.
  4. Chronic respiratory disease- No effective treatment, although erythromycin (Gallimycin), a tetracycline, or tylosin (Tylan) will reduce death rate, but survivors remain carriers.
  5. Infectious bronchitis- If this is it, you should provide electrolytes in warm drinking water, keep birds warm and well fed, avoid crowding, and treat for secondary bacterial infections if necessary.
  6. Laryngotracheitis (mild)- No effective treatment.
Disclaimer- Some of this information was from The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow.

Do any of the following things that you can-
  1.  Air Sac Disease- If it is this, you would want to keep the chick warm and well fed with high-protein rations and a vitamin E supplement, although this is a pretty fatal disease, and survivors remain carriers.
  2. Avian Influenza (low pathogenicity)- This is pretty rare, although not quite as rare as the high pathogenicity one. There is no cure, but it's far less fatal, however can evolve into high pathogenicity, but not likely.
  3. Brooder pneumonia- There is no effective treatment, so the humane thing would be to put it down if this is what it has.
  4. Chronic respiratory disease- No effective treatment, although erythromycin (Gallimycin), a tetracycline, or tylosin (Tylan) will reduce death rate, but survivors remain carriers.
  5. Infectious bronchitis- If this is it, you should provide electrolytes in warm drinking water, keep birds warm and well fed, avoid crowding, and treat for secondary bacterial infections if necessary.
  6. Laryngotracheitis (mild)- No effective treatment.
Disclaimer- Some of this information was from The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow.

Thank you for the reply! I'll check these out, really appreciate! I don't have the money to take the little fella to the vet unfortunately.... ); I really wish I did tho

Its weak so I've been giving it a little bit of sugar water to keep its energy up and to perk it a little, and it seems to be responding to that which is good I think. I'm hoping it pulls through the night, fingers crossed....It's a real sweet little baby I'd really hate to lose it so young );

Back
Top Bottom