sick chick please help!

11 weeks old is actually right in the perfect time period to get Coccidiosis. They are out digging in the dirt more and eating everything in sight. I've found that 8 - 14 weeks is the time of highest threat of Coccidiosis.

can anyone tell me what's wrong with my 11 week old rir? he's just standing around asleep most of the time all fluffed up,not eating/drinking as much as the others,just brought him into house and he's eating and drinking a little, but what's the matter with him?

He looks just like my little 6 week old pullet-- she started being "off " a couple days ago-- sitting around not active and now as of yesterday not wanting to eat or drink-- are your birds on medicated feed, mine have been since day one....

Medicated feed does not stop chickens from getting Coccidiosis. If your chick looks like that picture, you need to get Corid and treat ASAP. Medicated feed only aids in the prevention of Coccidiosis, it does not stop infection when the soil is overloaded with Oocysts or, when the bird is stressed or ill. If your birds are exhibiting the above symptoms, treat, now. Corid is the medication of choice. It treats all known forms of Coccidia and is gentle on the birds.

Medicated feed does not stop chickens from getting Coccidiosis. If your chick looks like that picture, you need to get Corid and treat ASAP. Medicated feed only aids in the prevention of Coccidiosis, it does not stop infection when the soil is overloaded with Oocysts or, when the bird is stressed or ill. If your birds are exhibiting the above symptoms, treat, now. Corid is the medication of choice. It treats all known forms of Coccidia and is gentle on the birds.

Of course I am out of town working and not home til tommorrow night... Have sent an emergency text to my (non chicken oriented) DH... hope he comes through for me... Or my poor girl will have to wait til Monday....

If it is cocci there WILL be bloody poop and by that stage it is usually too late as the damage is done. Prevention is the best method with medicated feed so they build an immunity from hatching. I have never had to deal with cocci past 4 weeks of age ... ever with my method of prevention. For a chicken to get cocci freeranging is near impossible as I have never seen a hen brooded chick ever get it. I would look at other ailments also.

I'm sorry to disagree again but, not all Coccidia strains cause bloody poop. It can be deadly even BEFORE blood is seen in the droppings. States that have high humidity and heavy rain see a greater incidence of Coccidia infection then other areas. Maybe, you have been lucky..others of us haven't been so lucky. Coccidia is found in soil everywhere...the reason you don't see it in broody chicks is because they become immune more quickly since they are moving around from day 1. However, if there were sudden, heavy oocyst loads in the soil, even broody chicks would be in trouble.
If it is cocci there WILL be bloody poop and by that stage it is usually too late as the damage is done. Prevention is the best method with medicated feed so they build an immunity from hatching. I have never had to deal with cocci past 4 weeks of age ... ever with my method of prevention. For a chicken to get cocci freeranging is near impossible as I have never seen a hen brooded chick ever get it. I would look at other ailments also.

Most cases are from 3 to 6 weeks and within that time 4 to 5 weeks for the worst cases. Most coccidia is harmless to mild infection. There are 10 that actually effect chickens. The chicken does not die from the protozoa but usually die from a secondary disease like salmonellosis or necrotic enteritis.

When using amprolium be sure to follow up with a vitamin supplement as amprolium works by denying nutrients to the protazoa.

This is a direct quote from Speckledhen copied with permission by same:

1) medicated feed doesn't prevent cocci
2) there are mutated forms of cocci now that do not show bloody poop and can be passed from parent to chick and need a double dose of Corid--necropsies have confirmed them.
3) Cocci left untreated will result in death 9 times of 10.
4) Individual chicks are affected differently and intestines will have varying degrees of damage on different chicks. Some may never have bloody poop, but some will have stunted growth from that point onward

This is a direct quote from Speckledhen copied with permission by same:

1) medicated feed doesn't prevent cocci
2) there are mutated forms of cocci now that do not show bloody poop and can be passed from parent to chick and need a double dose of Corid--necropsies have confirmed them.
3) Cocci left untreated will result in death 9 times of 10.
4) Individual chicks are affected differently and intestines will have varying degrees of damage on different chicks. Some may never have bloody poop, but some will have stunted growth from that point onward
I never said medicated feed "prevents" cocci it aids in the building of an immunity, a chicken can get cocci while on medicated feed and with a cocci vaccination. As for blood in the stool it is there even if you cannot see it with the naked eye. The hemoraghing is what leads to death in a chicken caused by the sporozoites damaging the intestinal wall to the point that nutrition absorbancy is so bad they die and they always bleed. It is very rare to have one bird die of cocci and no others show any signs which leads to the idea of another ailment. is the problem. Only chickens raised on wire do not have and oocysts in them but even then they can get it by contaminated water.

OP your bird may of had cocci but it rarely kills birds of the age that your bird appears to be. My guess is without a stool analysis it had something else going on as it most likely was exposed to cocci at a younger age already and now while fighting another unknown disease its' immune system may have allowed cocci to take over which is possible but not likely bu rather a secondary disease. The fact that no other bird seems to have cocci makes me think it was not cocci. Overall flock appearance and health is helpful in diagnosing diseases also.

I have raised chickens for 35 years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom