Sick chick, wrong breed, rooster, or normal?

Deepfriedbeauty

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
My Coop
My Coop
A week ago I brought home what I though were 2 six day old Amerauca chicks. A week later, one of the chicks is almost twice as large as the other. The big one is not only twice as big, but also twice as lively. The breeder says the larger one may be an accidental roo, the smaller may be an accidental welsummer, the smaller one could be sick, or it could be absolutely normal. That's far too many possibilities. I'm very new to owning chickens and I'm totally concerned that the little one may be sick. Hopefully you guys can give me some input thank you.

A week ago I brought home what I though were 2 six day old Amerauca chicks. A week later, one of the chicks is almost twice as large as the other. The big one is not only twice as big, but also twice as lively. The breeder says the larger one may be an accidental roo, the smaller may be an accidental welsummer, the smaller one could be sick, or it could be absolutely normal. That's far too many possibilities. I'm very new to owning chickens and I'm totally concerned that the little one may be sick. Hopefully you guys can give me some input thank you.
1st puic: The one on the right has eyes that are not bright and she seems to be holding her head down in the second pic. How does she act, eat, drink, poo? They both look like EE chicks, they are not Ameracauna's. She could be a Welsumer, the little one, but I don't think so, too light, no real eyeliner. Someone else will comment soon, I hope. Keep us posted! And, welcome
welcome-byc.gif
!

oh i thought they were in a different order ok so i think she may just be small in that case some chickens just end up tiny

make sure she is eating enough check her to make sure she is not skinny

I'm keeping an eye on her. She seems to be eating and drinking, but awful tired. I thought she was just the calmer of the 2, but she's almost too calm. Anything I should do besides watch? What signs would actually show that a chick is "skinny"? Sorry if I come of as an idiot. I'm a total novice.

you are NOT an idiot ok so if you put your hand on her belly and feel a long bone that is really prominent then she is skinny if you can feel it but it is not sticking out so bad that the sides are sunken in really bad then she is a good weight. if she is skinny then the other chick might not be letting her get any food or water give her some sugar water on the tip of her beak to be sure she is not dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom