Sick baby rooster.. help!

Kkoleckar

Chirping
Mar 13, 2024
UPDATED: this morning he’s still alive but same demeanor and activity level and I woke up to this and an extremely alarmed. Looking for a vet in my area that I could afford. Now I have one of my pullets with bloody stools. It has to be a parasite right??? There was literally no warning, one second he was completely fine and I come back to the broader a bit later and he was like this I’m freaking out

Write this last night: my 7 week old roo is having a lot of blood in stool, comb is pale in color, and more lethargic then normal. Separated from flock and gave him a warmer area to be isolated with food and water. Put water with chick booster electrolytes and a tiny bit of Acv. What could be wrong with him???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 31
Put water with chick booster electrolytes and a tiny bit of Acv. What could be wrong with him???
Coccidiosis.. and if there's vitamins (thiamine) in that water *might* make it worse as that's what they feed on. Only 1 or two of the 9-11 strains currently known to effect poultry may present as blood in droppings. Save the vitamins for after treatment. ACV is actually a good choice until the medication is made available. (Though it's not recommend it long term).

Are you in the US, what is your area? Most of us treat using Corid over the counter at TSC or feed stores.. but vet help is great.

They may need to be direct dosed if they have gone off water.. Usually treating the whole flock or brood is recommended. Hope they recover quickly! :fl

Coccidiosis.. and if there's vitamins (thiamine) in that water *might* make it worse as that's what they feed on. Only 1 or two of the 9-11 strains currently known to effect poultry may present as blood in droppings. Save the vitamins for after treatment. ACV is actually a good choice until the medication is made available. (Though it's not recommend it long term).

Are you in the US, what is your area? Most of us treat using Corid over the counter at TSC or feed stores.. but vet help is great.

They may need to be direct dosed if they have gone off water.. Usually treating the whole flock or brood is recommended. Hope they recover quickly! :fl
I am in the US. Thanks so much for the info. I’m going down now to pick up Corid. I hope it helps. Do you have any idea what I should expect after dosing with this? Will I notice improvement right away or will it be sometime before i see any difference? Thank you so much again!

I am in the US. Thanks so much for the info. I’m going down now to pick up Corid. I hope it helps. Do you have any idea what I should expect after dosing with this? Will I notice improvement right away or will it be sometime before i see any difference? Thank you so much again!
Corid acts to disrupt the coccidia bacteria's ability to use vitamin B, so don't supplement B vitamins while you're treating with Corid or else you'll waste money and time. It took my chicks only a couple of days to turn around, but continue treating for 7-10 days. Don't bother upping the dose to try and speed things along; follow the directions on the package.

Corid acts to disrupt the coccidia bacteria's ability to use vitamin B, so don't supplement B vitamins while you're treating with Corid or else you'll waste money and time. It took my chicks only a couple of days to turn around, but continue treating for 7-10 days. Don't bother upping the dose to try and speed things along; follow the directions on the package.
So I discontinued the chick booster and only am using the corid. My pullets are still looking good and same energy level, my cockerel still hasn’t shown any improvement, however he hasn’t shown decline either so I think his case is more severe then the others and will take some time. I’m wondering if mixing apple cider vinegar to the water as well would help out any? Do you have any experience with this? I know there’s going to be no speeding up the process but if it helps make them feel any better or help with their overall immune system Id be willing to try it out. I’m really greatful for everyone’s advice who’ve replied to my post so quickly. I don’t think he would have made it this long without it. 🙏

ACV is one of the most divisive topics on BYC. Some people feel that their chickens would immediately turn to dust without it while others view those first people as hopeless neanderthals rubbing ancient talismans. I don't believe it hurts or helps in the doses most people prescribe. I drink a quarter cup a day myself; it helps with my indigestion and I like the taste. I shake some red pepper flakes in or some Frank's Red Hot.

My flock took turns being really sick and at this point they aren’t 100% but they are significantly better than they started. The corid was definitely the answer and I thank you so so much for such quick responses. I attribute their road to recovery to how quickly I took Steps for intervention and I soooooo appreciate insights that got me there.

Back
Top Bottom