sick chick

twhitman

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2015
We got four Plymouth Rock chicks yesterday. A neighbor gave them to us. They weren't suppose to hatch, she thought the eggs were rotten under a broody hen. Anyhow, they hatched and are 6 days old now. Three seem to be doing great. One seems to be a little smaller than the rest and slower to respond. It does perk up and chirps loud when held. The eyes appear normal and breathing seems fine. We're currently mixing some electrolytes to add to their water.

Two hours later...
Wife texted me(at work) that the chick is laying alone and rather lethargic :-(

Three hours later now... kind of surprised nobody has given me an advice :-(
Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry that nobody responded, but time differences of different members and what seems to be some spam invasion may have put people off using the site for a while.

Looks like you will have to give electrolytes in water and food by hand and keep the chick indoors if you are hell-bent on trying to save it. Personally, i would cull it as it is likely to be weaker and more susceptible to the usual chicken ailments in the future, but thats just how i do things.

CT

As CTKen has said, giving electrolytes is about all you can do besides keep it warm. Check it for pasty butt daily, and clean if necessary. Dip it's beak several times as hour all day long to see if it perks up. It is possibly a weak chick, and sometimes they can perk up with the electrolyte mix. Sprinkle some chick feed on a paper towel around it's feet to peck at.

Thanks, I understand about different time frames, zones etc. I work nights and just woke up.

The chick died about 0330 this morning. We tried everything we could think of and nothing worked.
In the long run it is a learning experience. Our kids are both upset, which is expected. It's the first chick we've had die. Considering we've got 12 hens, one rooster and three chicks now, this being the first death is a good reflection of the way we take care of our animals. We do our best to give them the best, in return they give us their best.

Thanks again and keep on clucking!

I have lost 3 pullets, all buff Orpingtons, in the last few weeks and the last one is in her side. Other breeds are doing fine. They start laying down and can't get up. I have given antibiotics and electrolytes and the are free range.
Any ideas?

I have lost 3 pullets, all buff Orpingtons, in the last few weeks and the last one is in her side. Other breeds are doing fine. They start laying down and can't get up. I have given antibiotics and electrolytes and the are free range.
Any ideas?

Go to the top of the page and click on " Start a new thread" and post again. That way you will get more looks with your own thread, and it is less confusing. How old are they, and were they vaccinated for Mareks disease? Sorry for your loss.

Thanks, I understand about different time frames, zones etc. I work nights and just woke up.

The chick died about 0330 this morning. We tried everything we could think of and nothing worked.
In the long run it is a learning experience. Our kids are both upset, which is expected. It's the first chick we've had die. Considering we've got 12 hens, one rooster and three chicks now, this being the first death is a good reflection of the way we take care of our animals. We do our best to give them the best, in return they give us their best.

Thanks again and keep on clucking!

Sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom