Sick Chick?

4chicksinnj

Hatching
May 31, 2017
Hello Everyone!! I just walked in from work and went to visit my chicks after a long day and one is sitting, which she never does. I observed her for a while and noticed she is eating but she needed to flap her wings to jump on the bottom rim of the coop and again to get down from the rim. She usually just jumps over it. She is walking funny and seems a little sluggish although eating as stated.
Any ideas? The remaining chickens seem fine. My husband just told me she has a "cakey butt" as well. She is just over a year old. Sorry, not sure if I got this right, unsure if I know how to start a thread.

Hello Everyone!! I just walked in from work and went to visit my chicks after a long day and one is sitting, which she never does. I observed her for a while and noticed she is eating but she needed to flap her wings to jump on the bottom rim of the coop and again to get down from the rim. She usually just jumps over it. She is walking funny and seems a little sluggish although eating as stated.
Any ideas? The remaining chickens seem fine. My husband just told me she has a "cakey butt" as well. She is just over a year old. Sorry, not sure if I got this right, unsure if I know how to start a thread.
Definitely try giving her a warm bath (I use a bin and fill it up to where her breast starts) put a towel over the bin to give her warm quiet soaking spa time. Then dry her off (use hairdryer on low) and inspect her (bottom of feet for bumblefoot, etc) try to work her joints gently and see if you can discover a sore point, then post the results so we can help you guess what's wrong.

I agree about giving her a bath. Check her vent area for possible mites. Is she laying? How does her crop feel? Check her crop first thing in the morning, it should be empty. Hopefully we can all help you.

Back
Top Bottom