Sick chick

Bluerosesd

Chirping
Feb 20, 2018
South eastern Ky
i have a three week old silver laced Wyandotte. She is acting lethargic. Kinda just standing there with her head close to her body. They are in a brooder and not too warm and she don’t have pasty butt or a full crop. About three days ago we added four EE babies and that is the only thing I have done different. Oh wait I gave them some dried out meal worms but it wasn’t the first time giving them to them. I’m afraid I may loose her. Help!

Does she have bloody droppings? If so, she might have coccidiosis.
Separate get from the others and make a comfortable area for her to rest. Give her Nutri Drench if you have it, and hopefully she'll still be eating. If she's not eating, you can try adding some water to the food to make it easier and more enticing.
What are you feeding them?
Could you take pictures?

390EB823-F3EC-4D93-B78F-AEECCDBC25AE.jpeg
This is her. I put her in a box under the light by herself and she is chirping cause she is alone. When I picked her up she didn’t even fight or chirp. I rechecked for pasty butt and she does have a little poo on her feathers below her vent but isn’t stopped up. I didn’t notice any blood though when I cleaned their brooder.

three week old
She is acting lethargic
standing there with her head close to her body

Can you post some photos of her poop?

If she were mine, I would treat her for Coccidiosis. There are 9 strains of coccidia that affect chickens not all present with blood in the stool. Some symptoms of Coccidiosis overload include lethargy, puffed up/unkempt appearance, loose droppings with mucous or blood, going off feed.

Do you have any Corid? You can find that at most feed stores like Tractor Supply.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon of water or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Keep her hydrated and encourage her to eat. Just a reminder, anytime you give chicks anything to eat besides chick starter, they need a source of grit (crushed granite).

corid_16oz_bottle_hero_lr.jpg
Corid_Packet_FPO1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom