sick chick

ljleghorn

Hatching
Dec 10, 2018
I've had a chicken in the bathroom now for over 3 weeks. She won't eat or drink. Poop tested negative for parasites at Diagnotic Lab. I've been force feeding her with baby bird meal and water, sometimes adding yogurt or buttermilk and moringa powder for extra vitamins, vitamin e oil, egg yolks. fie days of Tylan 50 injections with no change. Now a vet prescribed antibiotic with no change after five days. Her breathing is somewhat labored. She walks only when she has to poop, then goes back to lying down. Pecks at seeds and treats but no real eating. Any ideas? Anyone experience anything similar? I'm afraid I'll be living with a chicken in the bathroom, feeding by syringe for another 6 years!

I've had a chicken in the bathroom now for over 3 weeks. She won't eat or drink. Poop tested negative for parasites at Diagnotic Lab. I've been force feeding her with baby bird meal and water, sometimes adding yogurt or buttermilk and moringa powder for extra vitamins, vitamin e oil, egg yolks. fie days of Tylan 50 injections with no change. Now a vet prescribed antibiotic with no change after five days. Her breathing is somewhat labored. She walks only when she has to poop, then goes back to lying down. Pecks at seeds and treats but no real eating. Any ideas? Anyone experience anything similar? I'm afraid I'll be living with a chicken in the bathroom, feeding by syringe for another 6 years!
What was her behavior before this started? Did she stop laying, molt, get hurt,etc. If she does eat does her crop empty right? Did this happen suddenly?

Can you post some photos of your chicken?
How old is she?
Did the vet give any "diagnosis" - what may be wrong with her - disease, infection, etc.?

If she is of laying age - when is the last time she laid an egg, is there any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen, do you feel any masses on the body, checked to make sure the crop has emptied overnight and looked for lice/mites?

If you can give us more information, we can help you with suggestions.

What was her behavior before this started? Did she stop laying, molt, get hurt,etc. If she does eat does her crop empty right? Did this happen suddenly?

Thanks for responding. Came on suddenly. She's at the end of her molt so hadn't laid eggs for a while. She is not hurt. I force feed her until dark and her crop still has something in it but not full in the morning. NO parasites. The vet said she has a heart murmur and she was a little touchy when the vet felt around her abdomen.

Thanks for responding. Came on suddenly. She's at the end of her molt so hadn't laid eggs for a while. She is not hurt. I force feed her until dark and her crop still has something in it but not full in the morning. NO parasites. The vet said she has a heart murmur and she was a little touchy when the vet felt around her abdomen.
I don't have any suggestions to add to the ones already given, but good luck! You sound like a good chicken mom!

Can you post some photos of your chicken?
How old is she?
Did the vet give any "diagnosis" - what may be wrong with her - disease, infection, etc.?

If she is of laying age - when is the last time she laid an egg, is there any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen, do you feel any masses on the body, checked to make sure the crop has emptied overnight and looked for lice/mites?

If you can give us more information, we can help you with suggestions.

Yes, she's about a year and a half and was a good layer until molt. She's a wellsummer. post of the flock hasn't started laying yet. No mites. And like I said in my other reply, her crop does not empty all the way over night. And since I'm force feeding with syringe it's all fluid and not lumpy. No lumps that I can feel but she is touchy around her abdomen. Chloe's picture attached. Thanks for responding.

Attachments

• IMG_1866.jpg
    IMG_1866.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 7
year and a half
her crop does not empty all the way over night.
she is touchy around her abdomen.
Will she eat/drink on her own?
Being touchy around the abdomen - is it swollen/bloated or fluid filled?

From the symptoms you describe, I would be inclined to think she has a reproductive problem - internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, ascites, cancer, tumors and salpingitis can be common in laying hens.
Crop problems are also fairly common in hens with a reproductive problem as well, since inflammation, masses, etc. cause internal swelling, pressure or partially block the digestive system making it harder to process/pass food.

Since she is sensitive, I'm not sure if a daily soaking in a warm epsom salts bath would be agreeable to her or not, you can try. Sometimes that can give them a little comfort and relief with swelling.

For the crop - try massaging that a few times a day. Introduce 1 tsp of coconut oil as well, this can help a little if the crop is becoming yeasty and may help her pass the contents.

I'm sorry that she is not doing well. If she is not responding to antibiotic treatment prescribed by the vet and she shows no signs of improvement over the course of several days, ending her pain and suffering may be something to consider. I know this is always a hard decision to make, but as you mentioned you fear you may have a chicken living in the bathroom for a long time. Sometimes we have to be realistic, even though we love and adore them, there comes a time when you have to determine what is best for both you and the hen.
I'm sorry:hugs

Back
Top Bottom