Sick chick?

Chicks who once have pasty butt may get it again for the first week to 10 days, so check it daily and clean off with soapy water. Hopefully you can revive this chick by dipping it’s beak into water with electrolytes, or water and giving a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench. Silkies and other bantams always seem a bit delicate to me for the first couple of weeks. Once they start to show symptoms like this, possibly from the shipping stress, it may be too late. But I hope that you can save it. Having it is a brooder with bigger and a little older birds may well have exposed it to coccidiosis, so it wouldn’t hurt to start Corid later today. But I would try to get some vitamins and electrolytes in it first. Thiamine or vitamin B1 should be stopped during Corid.

Can you also take some of the Flock Raiser and smash it or make it watery and see if the chick will eat it. A banty might find the FR crumbles too large. Try to keep the pine shavings drier and add new to prevent wet litter and mold.

The picture of the brooder is before I cleaned it all out and raised the lamp up because it was too hot.

Every spring for about 4 years I get chicks from tractor supply and have never had any issues. I got 4 silkies and the other 3 are running around and this one is just standing there. It’s mates will bump into it and it just stands there like nothing has happened.

View attachment 1735782 This is poop. I though it was a pine shaving but it’s poo
Since they were with the ducks and your brooder was so wet looking, I think I might start the Corid as well.
Chicken chicks need to be kept on clean dry bedding. Coccidia flourished in warm wet environments.
I still would get some Poultry Nutri-Drench into her as well for a couple of days. She may have just been overrun by the others since she is so small and depopulation will help with that.
Keep the vent cleaned up and let us know how she's doing.

Since they were with the ducks and your brooder was so wet looking, I think I might start the Corid as well.
Chicken chicks need to be kept on clean dry bedding. Coccidia flourished in warm wet environments.
I still would get some Poultry Nutri-Drench into her as well for a couple of days. She may have just been overrun by the others since she is so small and depopulation will help with that.
Keep the vent cleaned up and let us know how she's doing.
Yeah I moved the big kids out and now everything stays dry. I’m doing the corid treatment for everyone now. I picked up some nutri drench and some more save a chick packets. I normally don’t keep my duckling and chicks together for long because I know chicks hate wet bedding. I am gonna give the meds and just let nature do its thing.

Back
Top Bottom