Sick Chick

Peacockadoodledoo

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
Hello!

I'm brand-new to peafowl. We just picked up our first 3 chicks yesterday afternoon so we haven't even had them 24 hours yet. They were all bright eyed and happy when we got them but now one of them seems sick. The smallest one is lethargic and holding their eyes half closed. This morning we saw the bigger ones pecking at the little one so I've separated the little one to their own box with a heat lamp, their own food and water. Though I haven't seen the little guy eat at all since getting home. I did use a small syringe to get it to drink last night. Tried this morning and it won't open its beak for me.
My plans are to get some chicken chick electrolytes and maybe some antibiotics?
I have to be out this morning so I'm really hoping it'll make it till I can get home.

Any ideas?

It doesn't sound good for its survival. This is why we at Spring Creek Peafowl do not sell chicks until they are at least two months old or older. Little chicks must have heat, and proper chick feed only. We also provide electrolytes and vitamins in the water as well as medicated chick starter for the first six months. I suggest that you read the 'Stickies' articles listed above on the Peafowl page for more information on the proper care, feeding, and housing.

I just got home and the little guy is still alive and protested me messing with it, ha. The other two are still bright eyed and look healthy. They're all about 2 weeks old. I put electrolytes in their water and gave the weak one some from a syringe. s/he's standing more and the eyes look brighter. They do have heat - they're on my front porch (enclosed but separate air space than my house with no climate control, its where we keep our chicken chicks when we have some too) and its 90 degrees outside today plus they have a corner with a heat lamp if they want even more heat.

I'll read the stickies - thank you!

Back
Top Bottom