Sick chick?

Bokbokbkaww

Hatching
Jul 14, 2020
Hello! I have 5 week old chicks I got from Mypetchicken.com. Recently one of the Buckeyes started standing around a lot with her eyes closed. She still eats and drinks and poops and runs around some but not nearly as much as she used to. She used to be very energetic, chest bumping all the others. Her eyes seem a little bulging and she chatters quite a lot. Her crop empties overnight but can’t really fly well and can’t make it up to the higher roosts with the others.

Any ideas what may be going on?

Do mean five-week old chicks of unspecified number or five one-week old chicks?

Does this chick hold its wings out away from its body? Does she chirp loudly and rapidly as she tried to poop? What do her poops look like? Solid, runny, much smaller than the other chicks' poop?

Is she much smaller than the others? How long has this been going on?

Just one 5-week old chick. Seems like behavior changed 4-5 days ago. Poop looks healthy and plentiful with no loud chirping Doesn’t hold her wings away from body but looks either tired or generally confused. Our two buckeyes are the smallest but she is the larger of the two and seemed to be one of the most dominant until behavior changed. All were vaccinated for Marek’s.

Thanks!

Start by checking her crop in the morning. It should be empty before you feed her. If it's full before your give her food, she may have a crop issue that needs treating. It's good to rule it out.

Does she have access to grit? Sometimes food accumulates in the crop due to lack of adequate grit for digestion. This can cause a sluggish crop and gizzard, resulting in a chick that feels unwell. It can also lead to a yeast infection.

There's always the possibility of coccidiosis. Lethargy is one of the first symptoms. Warm wet weather can cause a population explosion of coccidia in the soil. Ordinary intestinal worms can also cause a chick to feel ill. A poop sample given to a vet for a fecal float test can identify parasites so you would know what to treat for.

It's also possible, if it's hot where you are, that this chick is suffering from an electrolyte imbalance. Try giving it Gatoraid or sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda.

Thank you!

Crop is empty in the morning and she does have access to grit. JUST took down brooder today (into coop) but keeping her inside until she feels better. Brooder was 3x6 cardboard with pine shavings bedding, perches, water, grit & food. I’m in Santa Cruz, CA. Coastal weather.

Ah! Santa Cruz. I lived there for a number of years back in the 70s and 80s. There were a few summers where the sun was not seen for the entire summer. I doubt your chickens will ever face heat issues.

Back
Top Bottom