Sick chick?

The electrolytes would be to give her energy but I think you should just contact a vet. Is there one that you could get ahold of now? You can try the electrolytes but I don't know if that is the right thing for her right now. Try calling a vet ASAP

Attachments

• 20220701_073315.jpg
    20220701_073315.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 1
Has she been given electrolytes yet? Any at all?

This seems heat related, and yes, a chicken can get heat stroke even with shade and water. It's life threatening so, it would be wise to give her this to cover this possibility.

The only other two possibilities are coccidiosis and bacterial infection. Corid in the water should be tried. A drench dose for the next three days should also be given.

It would be smart to try to locate an oral antibiotic in case these other measures don't work.

Has she been given electrolytes yet? Any at all?

This seems heat related, and yes, a chicken can get heat stroke even with shade and water. It's life threatening so, it would be wise to give her this to cover this possibility.

The only other two possibilities are coccidiosis and bacterial infection. Corid in the water should be tried. A drench dose for the next three days should also be given.

It would be smart to try to locate an oral antibiotic in case these other measures don't work.
I am starting to think it was heat and she wasn't eating and maybe drinking enough. She has perked up a lot today fter bringing her inside. We gave her electrolytes and some wet feed. We're gonna try the corid for everyone as preventative in case it is coccidiosis or something

The darkening of the skin may be from dehydration causing a thickening of the blood, therefore the concentration of red platelets could cause the color of the skin to slightly darken. That's why I lean toward heat stroke being the cause if the chick's illness.

The darkening of the skin may be from dehydration causing a thickening of the blood, therefore the concentration of red platelets could cause the color of the skin to slightly darken. That's why I lean toward heat stroke being the cause if the chick's illness.
That makes sense to me. Her feet were also notably cold especially compared to the others. She was basically lifeless when I found her. Today she is up chirping and moving around.

Back
Top Bottom