Sick chick?

PoultryPal1

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
So I have a three-four week old barred rock chick, she seems a bit lethargic and she stands still with her eyes closed for a lot of the day. She seems to have a bit of trouble walking, she walks pretty slow too. It's been happening for the past two days, she eats and drinks though. Her two siblings don't act like this and are more active and chirping a lot. She's been eating Purina start & grow medicated crumbles. Any reason why she's suddenly acting like this?

Attachments

• 20230728_180930.jpg
    20230728_180930.jpg
    915 KB · Views: 216
She hasn't been outside in my care yet, I'm still setting up the stuff, but I think with her previous owners she was let outside for a bit. But I'll pick up some corid tomorrow to see if it helps, thanks!

I had a chick behave that way a couple of days after coming home. She would almost sleep standing up, didn’t run when I tried to pick her up, and kept to herself in the brooder. Some folks here suggested electrolytes or sugar water through a syringe but unfortunately she passed before I had a chance to do anything. Next time I know to try sugar water immediately. I hope you’re able to bring her back to health!

So I have a three-four week old barred rock chick, she seems a bit lethargic and she stands still with her eyes closed for a lot of the day. She seems to have a bit of trouble walking, she walks pretty slow too. It's been happening for the past two days, she eats and drinks though. Her two siblings don't act like this and are more active and chirping a lot. She's been eating Purina start & grow medicated crumbles. Any reason why she's suddenly acting like this?
I start Corid asap! Dose is below.

In the meantime, work on hydration, be sure she's drinking.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Well, I checked on her around 6am this morning and she was dead. But her sisters are still healthy. I just hope everything will be alright with there just being only two of them now.

Are there any things I could do to help prevent her siblings from getting it too?
I switched mine to medicated feed when it happened to my chick. No way to know if that actually helped anything. None of the others ever showed symptoms of anything and they’re all thriving still at 9 weeks. Folks here told me it just happens sometimes. One dies and you don’t know why.

Oh okay, they have been eating medicated food so I never thought coccidiosis, which is why I didn't treat for anything yet, but I was too late though.

Back
Top Bottom