Sick Chick

tmayk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
I have a chick, a maran, maybe 5 days old who is sick. She is lethargic, weak and just lays there while the other chicks trample over her. She peeps a little. When we move her to food and water she eats and drinks. I've seen her poop a few times today and it is normal. We separated her from the others and gave her her own food and water in easy reach. The other chicks seem to pick on her when she is with them, like they know she is weak.
No other chicks are displaying any of these symptoms.

Any help or input is welcomed and appreciated!

Some chicks are frail and often do not survive. Keep her warm,encourage eating/drinking. What feed are they on?

If you are new to chicken keeping,i am suggesting you become knowledgeable regarding Coccidiosis as cocci is the leading cause of death among chicks and can kill very fast,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat such as Corid(amprolium). Some symptoms to watch for are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking,general look of unwell.

You can try honey and water mixture, but you will have to give by dropper until the chicks are drinking on their own. It will mean a long night but will be worth it if you can save them. I will say a prayer for you and the babies. Good luck.

You can try honey and water mixture, but you will have to give by dropper until the chicks are drinking on their own. It will mean a long night but will be worth it if you can save them. I will say a prayer for you and the babies. Good luck.

It is just one chick and she is drinking if I hold her to the water. I added honey about a 1/2 hour ago. I'm hoping that perks her up.

Some chicks are frail and often do not survive. Keep her warm,encourage eating/drinking. What feed are they on? 

If you are new to chicken keeping,i am suggesting you become knowledgeable regarding Coccidiosis as cocci is the leading cause of death among chicks and can kill very fast,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat such as Corid(amprolium). Some symptoms to watch for are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking,general look of unwell.

I am familiar with cocci. They are on an unmedicated chick starter that I have fed all of my previous chicks. Cocci was my first thought, but she is not fluffed, is both eating & drinking if I assist her to the feeder/waterer & her poop appears normal. She arrived here healthy and active, no pastey butt or lethargy

I know she is likely just a weak chick, which is just the worst! I just want to try to give her a fighting chance. I added honey to her water a bit ago, maybe that will help? :(

All you can do is your best to provide and take care of your babies. I understand the idea that they are just an animal and could be weak and that may be true be it still hurts the heart. I love my birds very much and have cried when I have lost one. Just remember to do the best you can and leave the rest in God's hands.

All you can do is your best to provide and take care of your babies. I understand the idea that they are just an animal and could be weak and that may be true be it still hurts the heart. I love my birds very much and have cried when I have lost one. Just remember to do the best you can and leave the rest in God's hands.

Thank you for your kindness <3
We raise our chickens for dual purpose and we value their lives very much. They provide our family with a lot. We hate to see them suffer at any point in their lives!
We keep watching this chick & we think she may actually be injured. I'll update later.

You should definitely separate her from the rest of the chicks. I have gotten weak chicks to perk up in a day or two just by giving them a little bit of sugar water or you can try the electrolyte packets they sell at the feed store. She may not drink in her own but if you have a dropper or even using your finger just drip it at the tip of her beak and hopefully she will start drinking.

Back
Top Bottom