Sick chicken can’t stand up

alyssahockings

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
So about two weeks ago my chicken’s comb started flopping over and I assumed heat stress (it’s very hot here) and gave her both antibiotics and electrolytes but she kept getting slower, following me everywhere I went, wouldn’t eat unless I hand fed her, and eventually two days ago collapsed. I now have her inside my house in a cool dim room but for the last two days she can’t stand and is lying on her side. She’s still drinking and eating like a champ but will fall asleep a lot. Today I am sitting with her in the room and I had thought she was close to going as last night she wouldn’t even lift her head so I thought may as well give her a little crushed up weet bix as a treat (she LOVES) weetbix and so i put it in my hand and she devoirs it and starts trying really hard to stand up but can’t. One of her feet is curled up and she can’t use it but she’s still trying so I have hope that she can come back from this. Any advice on how I can nurse her back to health? She’s my baby, even purrs when I pat her still so I’d love for her to recover.

So about two weeks ago my chicken’s comb started flopping over and I assumed heat stress (it’s very hot here) and gave her both antibiotics and electrolytes but she kept getting slower, following me everywhere I went, wouldn’t eat unless I hand fed her, and eventually two days ago collapsed. I now have her inside my house in a cool dim room but for the last two days she can’t stand and is lying on her side. She’s still drinking and eating like a champ but will fall asleep a lot. Today I am sitting with her in the room and I had thought she was close to going as last night she wouldn’t even lift her head so I thought may as well give her a little crushed up weet bix as a treat (she LOVES) weetbix and so i put it in my hand and she devoirs it and starts trying really hard to stand up but can’t. One of her feet is curled up and she can’t use it but she’s still trying so I have hope that she can come back from this. Any advice on how I can nurse her back to health? She’s my baby, even purrs when I pat her still so I’d love for her to recover.
Do you have photos of her and her poop?
How old is she?
What do you normally feed, including treats?
When was her last egg?

You gave antibiotics, what did you give and what type of infection did you suspect?

If she suffered heat stress or stroke it may take a good while to get her back on her feet if at all.

See that she's got access to plain fresh water. Electrolytes for short periods of time throughout the day are o.k., but she also needs just plain water.
Encourage her to eat her normal nutritionally balanced feed, limit treats or give her treats of egg, fish or meat.

Not being able to stand after a stressful event could be indication of disease like Marek's, but let's hope not.

I'd also start her on vitamin therapy to see if that makes a difference. Give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

Back
Top Bottom