Sick Chicken? Cold Chicken?

KLandon16

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
Hello all,
I’ve got a 1.5yr old barred rock, she is at the bottom of the pecking order as you will tell by her bare head in the photo. Last week with warmer temperatures she was fine, outside all day soaking up the sun doing normal chicken stuff. This past week the temperatures around me have dropped to the negatives and we have gotten snow. Since then NO ONE will go outside despite me shoveling paths etc. Yesterday I gave them some scrambled eggs and noticed she was just standing still all puffed up like this. I checked her over from head to toe last night, no cuts, colour is normal, eyes are clear, no runny nose or sneezing, breathing fine, feet are normal, vent is normal, not egg bound, her crop was full last night and empty this morning, I’ve watched her eat and drink this morning. The poop under where she roosts is normal. She just looks miserable so to speak and will not go near their door to the outside world.
Their coop is draft free, locked up at night. I do not have a heat lamp in there for safety concerns.
Am I over reacting or do I have an ill hen? She wasn’t a fan of the winter last year either so I’m stumped

Attachments

• BDEA9EAE-6B3C-4D61-9E65-055BEB48A16D.jpeg
    BDEA9EAE-6B3C-4D61-9E65-055BEB48A16D.jpeg
    782.5 KB · Views: 12
Possible molting? or did you see her getting pecked. Is he just low on pecking order or is she being straight bullied? One of mine takes molting TERRIBLY. She stays in the coop in the corner looking pitiful. Comb shrunken and pale.

She is the lowest on the pecking order. I guess you could say she is bullied because they won’t even let her on the same roost as the rest. She was molting a bit, maybe that’s what it is. Her comb was always like that from being picked on. She’s never pale, and everything else seems normal. I just think she may be a drama queen

Can you examine her more closely to see if she has pin feathers coming in? At 1 1/2yrs she is likely molting. While you have her up, look for lice/mites.

Chickens can be funny at times in winter, have you tried spreading a bit of straw or hay on top of the snow to see if they will go out? Sometimes that works...but, sometimes not.

Back
Top Bottom