Sick chicken died, worried about the rest of my flock

For starters, it's apparent that your chicken had a tumor causing virus. Which one is hard to say. It could be the leucosis virus or Marek's which are very common.

The bits of yellow material signify a reproductive infection, probably EYP, egg yolk peritonitis. The fluid in the abdomen supports this.

It's very critical you get these cancerous organs to a lab for testing for an avian virus since your entire flock is likely carrying it. Refrigerate them until you can locate the lab.

Agreed but that girl live thaaaaa long with the virus I'm shocked a bit

My hen, five years old, was sluggish and not feeling well. Her abdomen was swollen and I thought she was egg-bound. After a day and warms baths, she died, like it was a heart attack. I did an autopsy to see if she was really egg bound. She was not. Her poop was lightish green. Her abdomen was filled with fluid. Inside her cavity her organs were covered, like really covered in hundreds of small white bumps, and there was some yellow pieces of stuff, and darker greenish/gray lump. I don't know what this is, and if it is some disease I am worried about the rest of my hens (11 hens). About two months ago, I had a hen die - I had noticed that she was sluggish and not eating, and the next day, laying on the floor of the coop.
I am posting a photo, I apologize for the graphic nature of the photo, however, I am really worried about what this is, and how to treat it.
thank you for any information.

It seems more like Lymphiod Leukosis to me these white bumps are small tumors that sprad throughout her abdomen and shut down
I guess she's definitely in pain & discomfort so sorry but she live long age of 5 years with the virus do u ever notice her sick in earlier age of her life?

Thank you.
is it contagious? are my other hens going to get it? do they need to be treated?
Yes, nearly all chickens are exposed to mareks. It is a type of chicken herpes. Thee is a primary infection that most chickens do not get very sick from Some ill though. Then a secondary cancer that hits a percentage of chickens after two years of age.

It is similar to the one in humans that we have a vaccine for. The initial infection and then years later some get reproductive cancer.

It seems more like Lymphiod Leukosis to me these white bumps are small tumors that sprad throughout her abdomen and shut down
I guess she's definitely in pain & discomfort so sorry but she live long age of 5 years with the virus do u ever notice her sick in earlier age of her life?
It could be!

I am a bit late to comment, but I agree with others that this appears to be cancer, possibly from Mareks disease or lymphoid leukosis, both viruses that cause cancer. Both are infectious, so it would be good to get a neceopsy with Mareks testing. The sooner the body is sent or taken the better the results will be. Keep it refrigerated, not frozen. Sorry for you loss, but you are really helping us here to see what cancer looks like. The spots can usually be seen on many organs! And in Mareks along nerves as well. Here is a link for state vets labs:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom