Sick Chicken, Egg Peritonitis?? Please Help!!!

There are no vets in my area that will see chickins, and even if they did it would be beyond expensive. I was just hoping that someone would have an idea on how to help her or had delt with his before.

There are no vets in my area that will see chickins, and even if they did it would be beyond expensive.  I was just hoping that someone would have an idea on how to help her or had delt with his before. 

The only time I've seen poop like that is with my peafowl and turkeys. I suspected histomoniasis and treated accordingly. But it's not supposed to be a problem in chickens.

You could try treating for coccidiosis with Corid. I'm really sorry that I don't have an answer for you.

Thanks i will start doing that
smile.png
she is eating better today but still no egg and more yellow poop.....
sad.png

still no egg this morning
th.gif
she seemes to be eating better and have a bit more pep, but I don't want to put her back with the flock until she lays.... grrrr

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Is she still doing the yellow poop? It seems like a lot of yolk to be from one egg. Was there anything resembling egg white (clear, jelly-like)? If it really was egg yolk, she most likely would have a broken shell to pass too.
If she were mine, I'd try and get her on antibiotics as a precaution. I think in the US you can buy these at the feed store?
Good luck x

I will pick some antibiotics up tomorrow at the feed store, it does sound like a good idea. She has only passed what looks like yolk nothing that resembles an egg white at all. I have see no shell and she still has not layed.

I am really getting worried.

It's possible the yellowy stuff is not yolk at all, but from an infection. Antibiotics are the way forwards if that's the case. I'd keep her warm, keep up the warm baths, keep tempting her to eat/drink and give her a week's antibiotics. She's hanging on well - if she were egg bound or had peritonitis, it's usually fatal in 48 hours. As long as she's pooping, she's doing good :)

Update! I left for vacation after nursing her back to heath but had a feeling she would die on my pet sitter. When I got back she was still alive but her comp had turned very pale and shrunk to nothing, however she was is good health. Her comp grew back out and turned red and she seemed to be doing great! Then last week I went out to give the girls treats and she was dead just inside the coop. She had been fine the day before and looking for treats with all the other girls. I was very sad
hit.gif
She was a very sweet hen! I have recently gotten a barnyard mix of seven chicks. I will post pictured for a rousing game of 'guess what I am" soon!
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom