SICK CHICKEN: Eye closed

happima

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 14, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
I found my Welsummer, about 8 months, in the corner of the chicken run. When I came with food, she was not interested - as she always is. I gave her a look and her left eye is closed and she seems confused. No swelling or blood or puss evident.

What to do? I have 2 other 8 month old hens, plus some 8 week chicks just introduced a few weeks ago.

About 6.5 months ago, I had a chick that was diagnosed with Mareks after necropsy.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

I went ahead and isolated here in a pen on the chicken yard.

After going through a prolonged time trying to save my chick from Mareks, I'm prepared this time to cull for the safety of the flock.

I really appreciate any advice or experience others can share.

Put some neosporin on the eye and then she opened it. Looks a little goopy. She's perked up since her eye open and broke out of the pen I made her. So there's definitely still some life in her. Walking is fine. She sounds a little like she has a stuffy beak/congestion.

Wondering if I should get her some antibiotics?

I'm the only one responding to my thread :)

Her eye that I put the neosporin on opened. Now her other eye has foam in it. She is congested. I brought her inside the house for night to stay in the guest bathroom, where it is warm. I also got her some antibiotics which I put in the drinking water. Gave her a few straw fulls.

Hope she feels better tomorrow.

Sounds like a respiratory infection, probably brought in by those new chicks. Generally in chickens respiratory infections can be 'cured' but the chicken will be a carrier and other chickens you bring in will get sick. Any other chickens showing symptoms? Any odor around the face?

Look through this link and see what matches her symptoms:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Sounds like a respiratory infection, probably brought in by those new chicks. Generally in chickens respiratory infections can be 'cured' but the chicken will be a carrier and other chickens you bring in will get sick. Any other chickens showing symptoms? Any odor around the face?

Look through this link and see what matches her symptoms:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you so much featherz. This is helpful. Symptoms most closely match Infectious Laryngotracheitis, though no blood tinged discharge yet. Started with watery/foamy eyes, she seems disoriented, her face is swollen, and she has gurgling and shaking of head.

So far, no other chicks or hens are showing symptoms, though she wasn't until yesterday, so this is all just starting.

I have isolated her into our guest bathroom and started her on antibiotics that I got from the feed store - duramycin/tetracyclin. I fed her some of the water through a straw again this morning and also put a few teaspoons of the water into scrambled eggs which she ate last night and this morning. Results: her eyes have cleared up, she seems a little less disoriented (though hard to say really) and her gurgling is still there, though not as severe as it was early this morning. I'd say that it seems she is a little better today, definitely not worse.

So I have a few questions if anyone could venture to answer:
1) Are these the right antiobiotics to give her?
2) How long should i keep her on these antibiotics?
3) Do I need to get my flock vaccinated? For what exactly?
4) If she continues to improve, can I reintroduce her into the flock? When?

It is frustrating not knowing where to turn for help with the chickens. I tried my vet last time I had issues and she was nice, but just didn't know chickens.

Learning as I go..

Thank you so much featherz. This is helpful. Symptoms most closely match Infectious Laryngotracheitis, though no blood tinged discharge yet. Started with watery/foamy eyes, she seems disoriented, her face is swollen, and she has gurgling and shaking of head.

So far, no other chicks or hens are showing symptoms, though she wasn't until yesterday, so this is all just starting.

I have isolated her into our guest bathroom and started her on antibiotics that I got from the feed store - duramycin/tetracyclin. I fed her some of the water through a straw again this morning and also put a few teaspoons of the water into scrambled eggs which she ate last night and this morning. Results: her eyes have cleared up, she seems a little less disoriented (though hard to say really) and her gurgling is still there, though not as severe as it was early this morning. I'd say that it seems she is a little better today, definitely not worse.

So I have a few questions if anyone could venture to answer:
1) Are these the right antiobiotics to give her?
2) How long should i keep her on these antibiotics?
3) Do I need to get my flock vaccinated? For what exactly?
4) If she continues to improve, can I reintroduce her into the flock? When?

It is frustrating not knowing where to turn for help with the chickens. I tried my vet last time I had issues and she was nice, but just didn't know chickens.

Learning as I go..
If it's ILT (could also be Mycoplasma or Infectious bronchitis), I don't know the exact antibiotics to give, although I know for MG I know people often use either Tylan or Denagard. IB is a virus, so antibiotics won't help much, it just has to run the course. Hopefully one of the experts will pop in with proper dosages for you!

Honestly, I think your flock has already been exposed so I am not sure if vaccination will help. If these are pets to you and you don't plan to sell chickens, breed chickens for sale, sell hatching eggs or go to shows, I'd probably say put her back when she gets better and enjoy your flock.

Keep in mind that most chicken respiratory diseases cause your chickens to be carriers. Any new chickens that come into the flock will probably get the disease and your chickens may have a recurrence when they are stressed. Some of the diseases (MG) can be passed via hatching eggs also. So for that reason you could also consider euthanizing any chickens that come down with respiratory symptoms - it really depends on what your plans are.

Good news re. getting help. Just found Medical Center for the Birds in Oakley and they are going to see me today, Saturday on a three day weekend.

This disease stuff is definitely the roughest part of raising chickens. Learning as I go... Appreciate the support on Backyard Chickens. Will share what I learn.

Keep in mind that most chicken respiratory diseases cause your chickens to be carriers. Any new chickens that come into the flock will probably get the disease and your chickens may have a recurrence when they are stressed. Some of the diseases (MG) can be passed via hatching eggs also. So for that reason you could also consider euthanizing any chickens that come down with respiratory symptoms - it really depends on what your plans are.

Between first Mareks and now this, I've feel like we've got a little cesspool going here. If she recovers, I think I'll just put her back in with all the germs. But, honestly, after having a run with Mareks, I am prepared to cull her if that's what's best for the flock. I don't sell the eggs, don't go to shows, don't breed, just trying to manage a nice flock here for our family's education and enjoyment. And I would like to grow the flock a little more. Guess I'm gradually building a strong flock with the hens who are resistent and make it through these outbreaks.

Last edited:
Reporting back after bird vet visit. Looks like some kind of respiratory disease - Mycoplasma is the one she kept mentioning. We are doing a blood panel to check and I guess that will also tell us what other antibiodies Rosie the Hen has to get a better idea on what might be in the flock. Vet was OK with the current antibiotics I am giving and told me exactly to do one capful (per cap she gave me) per gallon of water. I also can keep putting the medicated water into scrambled eggs for chicken. Also got a once a day inflamatory to give the hen.

She said I could go ahead and give the whole flock antibiotics in the water if I want, but was also OK with me just waiting it out to see if anyone else comes down with the disease and then treating sick hens case by case.

Should know more from the blood tests in a week. Vet visit pricey, but at least I will get some information that should be useful for the whole flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom