Sick Chicken Help Needed

The type of infection she likely has probably won't respond much to an antibiotic. Of course, I don't have psychic powers and can't see inside the chicken, but her behavior and poop lean toward it being a chronic infection, likely terminal. It may involve tumors.

Generally, a chicken exhibits pain by being mute, by standing hunched and the tail is usually low and flat. A chronically sick chicken will be in slow motion, have poor appetite, weight loss, eyes droopy, and falling asleep standing up. She's uninterested in life in general.
She’s not hunched and tail is up. She’s not got much space to move around but when I took her out of the box she walks slowly and seems curious. Her poop all day has been like colored dark brown water and doesn’t seem interested in food and very little water. Eyes are definitely droopy.

Poor sweet girl :( Do you feel comfortable "putting her out of her misery" or do you typically just let a chicken pass on her own?

I just read through the thread. I am no expert but between her age and the symptoms I have read, it could be her time. :( This seems similar to what happened to my production layers (Golden Comets). They just declined and I tried everything but they eventually stopped moving around, then stopped eating, then stopped drinking. Same green poop the whole time. We ended up putting them out of their misery (humanely) because it was hard to watch them suffer. But I absolutely understand that some people cannot do this and would rather just make the hen feel as comfortable as they can.

Whatever happens, I wish you and your hen the best. It's so difficult when this happens. :hugs
I’m not opposed to it but not sure how to do it. I don’t want her to suffer and if she’s in pain I’d rather end it.

Unfortunately, she’s my only chicken so she’d be by herself outside. She is nodding off when standing. I can’t get her in to see someone until Saturday and doubt she’ll last that long.

I don’t want her to suffer any longer if she’s in pain and don’t think the vet will give any antibiotics without seeing her.
I feel so badly for you. my prayers are with you.

I’m not opposed to it but not sure how to do it. I don’t want her to suffer and if she’s in pain I’d rather end it.
There are several different methods that you can look up on BYC or Youtube. I personally use the hatchet/stump method, but a lot of people on here seem to use the broomstick.

I hope you don't find it insensitive of me to discuss this bluntly while you're going through this difficult time. I just wanted to put the info out there for you if you need it. It's just, some people can afford to go to the vet to euthanize, and this is the option if you cannot (or in your case, you cannot get into the vet). I know some people on here have different opinions about this, but it's something many chicken-keepers need to do on occasion. It's my least favorite part of owning chickens, but it's just a fact of life.

I wish you luck during this difficult time.

There are several different methods that you can look up on BYC or Youtube. I personally use the hatchet/stump method, but a lot of people on here seem to use the broomstick.

I hope you don't find it insensitive of me to discuss this bluntly while you're going through this difficult time. I just wanted to put the info out there for you if you need it. It's just, some people can afford to go to the vet to euthanize, and this is the option if you cannot (or in your case, you cannot get into the vet). I know some people on here have different opinions about this, but it's something many chicken-keepers need to do on occasion. It's my least favorite part of owning chickens, but it's just a fact of life.

I wish you luck during this difficult time.
I appreciate the information. I’m currently on a cancellation list and have an appointment for Saturday. The vet called me and walked through several things and she thinks it’s either cancer or age related and symptoms related to end of life. We don’t think she’ll make it to Saturday so for now, I’m keeping her warm by the fire where I think she’s somewhat comfortable.

Unfortunately, she’s my only chicken so she’d be by herself outside. She is nodding off when standing. I can’t get her in to see someone until Saturday and doubt she’ll last that long.

I don’t want her to suffer any longer if she’s in pain and don’t think the vet will give any antibiotics without seeing her.
The type of infection she likely has probably won't respond much to an antibiotic. Of course, I don't have psychic powers and can't see inside the chicken, but her behavior and poop lean toward it being a chronic infection, likely terminal. It may involve tumors.

Generally, a chicken exhibits pain by being mute, by standing hunched and the tail is usually low and flat. A chronically sick chicken will be in slow motion, have poor appetite, weight loss, eyes droopy, and falling asleep standing up. She's uninterested in life in general.
I want to thank you so much for all of your information and time with suggestions and direction on what to look for. I was able to talk to the vet today and she had pretty much the same opinion as you. She thinks cancer or old age. We don’t think she’ll make it and she didn’t sound optimistic that a visit or antibiotics would help. We’re going to see how things go and if she makes it until Saturday when her appointment is, I’ll take her in but will try to make her as comfortable as possible. Many, many thanks.

I want to thank you so much for all of your information and time with suggestions and direction on what to look for. I was able to talk to the vet today and she had pretty much the same opinion as you. She thinks cancer or old age. We don’t think she’ll make it and she didn’t sound optimistic that a visit or antibiotics would help. We’re going to see how things go and if she makes it until Saturday when her appointment is, I’ll take her in but will try to make her as comfortable as possible. Many, many thanks.
How is she today? Does she have a name?

Back
Top Bottom