Sick chicken... help please.

Ana Robin

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hi, all.

I have an Aracauna that is showing signs of lethargy. For the past few days, she's been keeping to herself and today she seems to be wanting to lay around. When I go to pick her up, rather than bolting from me like usual, she lets me pick her up. I do not feel a bulge where her crop is and her vent appears to be clear. I've quarantined her to the 'hospital room' (crate with lots of hay for warmth and comfort; warm water w/splash of apple cider vinegar, some feed and mealworms) I'm not sure what to do from here. Advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

If I have had sick hens, they will usually eat some chopped scrambled egg. Wet chicken feed is also usually accepted. Keep an eye on her droppings for diarrhea or blood. Is she laying eggs? Have you checked inside her vent an inch or two with a finger for a stuck egg?

No, I've not done that. I haven't seen any green eggs in recent times, so maybe that's it. I'll have a look this when we put all of the animals to bed for the night. She is about a year and a half.

Will she take to eating eggs out of the coop if I feed her scrambled eggs?
I'd keep her with the others but I'm concerned she might be ill.

I appreciate the help. Thank you both.

Will she take to eating eggs out of the coop if I feed her scrambled eggs?
I'd keep her with the others but I'm concerned she might be ill.

I appreciate the help. Thank you both.
No feeding eggs does not make a hen turn into an egg eater.

I just checked her vent and she is not egg bound. Looks like the down below her vent is dirty but I see no evidence of diarrhea in the kennel. It does not look like she is eating or drinking,but I could not be certain.

Back
Top Bottom