Sick chicken help--Sour crop?

la79al

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2019
My 9 year old came in the house and asked me to keep an eye on her chicken today. She told me she looks paler than usual. I went and looked at her and is definitely not her usual self. We were not home for about 10 days and I think she has been acting off since we got home on Sunday. Her comb seems shriveled. She is usually the hyper one of the flock and now just hangs in the back. I let them out a bit to eat grass today and she was eating that but not with the ferocity that she usually does. Yesterday was the first time we got 4 eggs instead of 3 (no clue on which hen lays what when). We have had rainy conditions for 2/3 of the days we have been home and all 4 of them are covered in mud. Last week they had their first experience with very close to freezing temps overnight. She seems to be holding her wings fluffed out a bit but that might be my imagination. They are about 7 months old and I have never noticed them having problems with each other. Help??? I can't lose my 9 year olds baby.

Sorry about your pullet. Was someone feeding and watering them plus looking after them while you were gone for 10 days? I would bring her aside to check her crop to see if it is empty, has food in it, if it is full, firm, doughy, or puffy. Check her skin all over, especially between her legs under her vent for lice or mites. What does her poop look like? Do you have any Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes with vitamins? Can you try feeding her some chopped scrambled egg? A little wet chicken feed (oatmeal consistency) or tuna would be good. She could be suffering from something reproductive, worms, or coccidiosis. If you have Corid, you may want to treat her, or go take some droppings in to the vet for a fecal float. Keep her warm, especially if she seems cold.

ETA-- I think it is sour crop. She is squishy and swollen in the front and keeps acting like it annoys her. I have a dog crate to isolate her. Should I move her there, then water her as usual until bedtime and then do the 12 hours with no water? I dont want to stress her out too much by moving her away from the coop and taking away her water all at once. And should I stop feeding her immediately?

ETA-- I think it is sour crop. She is squishy and swollen in the front and keeps acting like it annoys her. I have a dog crate to isolate her. Should I move her there, then water her as usual until bedtime and then do the 12 hours with no water? I dont want to stress her out too much by moving her away from the coop and taking away her water all at once. And should I stop feeding her immediately?
Is a vet an option?

Back
Top Bottom