Sick chicken! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sisq, Nov 19, 2015.

1. sisq

sisq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    This chicken is an Isbar that is only a few months old. My hens hatched her(I think) out along with some other chicks so she has lived in the coop with the other chickens since birth. Just yesterday I found one of her fellow hatch mates dead. It made me very sad, she didn't show any symptoms. Today I noticed this girl showing signs of illness. She's lost weight, her eyes are goopy and there is pink around them, I don't think she's eating, and she is lethargic. I separated her from the other chickens and have her in the house. Does anyone have an idea about what this could be? What should I do?

2. sisq

sisq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are pictures. Thanks!

3. sisq

sisq Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2012
    Update; sadly she's passed. :( More bad news another one of her hatch mates is sick. Im using vetrx. Can someone please help? I don't want her to die too.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be a respiratory disease, so I would get some Tylan 50. injectable with syringes and 20 gauge needles. Give her 1/2 ml orally or as an injection once or twice daily for 3-5 days. If she is over 5 lb, yoj can give 1 ml. I would also refrigerate the dead hen, and send her boday to the state vet for a necropsy to find out the cause of death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by