Sick chicken! Help!

bcbuchan

Hatching
May 17, 2015
Hello, I have a 1.5 year old black sex link hen, who became extremely lethargic, anorexic with a massive amount of weight loss. She also I found her over a week ago on the sprawled underneath the perch in her coop, as if she had fallen, as she was falling asleep. The other hens were fine and were sleeping already on their perch. When I picked her up off the dirt ground, she was almost lifeless, and I thought she was dead, up until she moved slightly. I brought her in the house, warmed her up, and syringe fed her. She made it through the night, shockingly. The next few days, I noticed she couldn't even walk. I purchased Emerald Omnivoire food (a semi-elemental diet designed for the critically ill omnivore; http://emeraid.com/emeraid-omnivore/). I syringe fed her this diet three times daily, then reduced it to only twice daily (only because I was running the wrong house and each bag is $65). I mix in Apple Cider Vinegar, Colloidal Silver, and more electrolytes for chickens). I also give her pedialyte by syringe. It has been over a week, and she just barely started eating today a little bit of corn on her own. Her keel bone sticks out and you can feel her ribs. Her comb has some weird scabs in it, that recently have turned whitish (see pic), and green watery diarrhea.. A few days ago, she started walking "kinda," (lopsided), then past three days, her walking has further improved, but still obviously noticeably weak. I'm a physician assistant, and have tried putting differential diagnoses together based on everything that I've read on here. Fowl pox (based on her comb, or a fungus?), Marek's (lopsided walk), cocci (diarrhea)... I don't think she's egg bound, because she would have been dead awhile ago. she's not sneezing, or coughing, nor does she breathe when her mouth is open. Help!

Do the scabs look like this?

Pox-3.jpg

How long does it usually last? I've been syringe feeding her since December 15th in my house. She seems to get better, than gets worse and so on. I know that colloidal silver is a mild anti-viral and have been giving that to her everyday. Is fowl pox a death sentence?

It does appear to be a mild form of fowl pox. Since fowl pox is viral, it doesn't have a viable treatment (though the colloidal silver should be helping a little). With that said, most birds recover on their own from fowl pox within 6-8 weeks after symptoms appear. The dry form (which your hen has) is the less severe version; there is also a wet form which invades the mouth and respiratory tract. The wet form has a much higher mortality rate than dry fowl pox.

The thing about fowl pox, though, is that it doesn't usually have quite as severe of other symptoms as what your hen is showing. That makes me think that the fowl pox may be a secondary infection brought on by stress (perhaps due to another, underlying problem), or vice versa (the fowl pox stress has caused another disease that is making your hen weak and uninterested in feed). I would continue feeding your hen with a syringe and encouraging her to eat other things. Try scrambled or hard boiled eggs, moistened layer feed, mealworms, ad/or a variety of fresh fruits/vegetables to stimulate her appetite. The vitamins are a good idea, too.

In case she has another disease that is affecting her, I might try some other treatments, as well. A strong antibiotic like Tylan50 or Tylan200 would help if the problem is bacterial. If you suspect Coccidiosis (or just want to cover your bases by treating anyway), Corid would be the correct treatment. You can probably find the Tylan, Corid, or other antibiotics (like tetracycline) at a local feed store or order them online.

Other than that, there isn't much else you can do. If it is fowl pox, she should eventually recover with a little supportive treatment. If it is something else, only time will tell. Good luck!

I noticed she was sleeping a lot in front of my sliding door early December, but didn't think any of it because the hens often take power naps there. Hers had just become longer and more frequent. I found her on the ground around December 15th.

She stopped eating today, refusing to even swallow during syringe feeding. I hope she makes it through the night...

I noticed she was sleeping a lot in front of my sliding door early December, but didn't think any of it because the hens often take power naps there. Hers had just become longer and more frequent. I found her on the ground around December 15th.

She stopped eating today, refusing to even swallow during syringe feeding. I hope she makes it through the night...

Aaaww so sorry about the little sweetie. Hope she gets better soon.

Do you have a chicken vet you could take her to?

Sending big hugs x

Back
Top Bottom