Sick chicken, help!

TyKrumland

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2020
Portland, OR
Hello,

A few weeks back this hen showed up in our yard. She made herself at home quickly in our existing coop. She lays an egg each day but I think she may be sick.
BD931549-5587-4095-99B4-A9DB288B2AFA.jpeg

She sneezes a lot but doesn’t seem to have any discharge on her beak. She also has diarrhea. She has a good appetite and seems happy other than those things I described above.

I’m new to owning chickens. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Sneezing? she shouldn't sneeze unless she just got dust up her nose. No discharge and clear eyes, from what you show. Have you tried putting her in a box for an evening (and sit her near you) to make sure she's not gurgling, which could suggest respiratory disease, such as bronchitis or pneumonis and might need antibiotics. Diarrhea doesn't sound good. Put a paper under her roosting spot at night and check in the AM. Mucousy loose with some pink sometimes is coccidia (but no sneezing). Some respiratory conditions may be accompanied by diarrhea. Keep a close eye on her AND the rest of your flock. Respiratory diseases are VERY contagious among birds. See the longer of the two chicken gurgling/gurgling chicken threads for more info on them and treatment with antibiotics.

Sneezing? she shouldn't sneeze unless she just got dust up her nose. No discharge and clear eyes, from what you show. Have you tried putting her in a box for an evening (and sit her near you) to make sure she's not gurgling, which could suggest respiratory disease, such as bronchitis or pneumonis and might need antibiotics. Diarrhea doesn't sound good. Put a paper under her roosting spot at night and check in the AM. Mucousy loose with some pink sometimes is coccidia (but no sneezing). Some respiratory conditions may be accompanied by diarrhea. Keep a close eye on her AND the rest of your flock. Respiratory diseases are VERY contagious among birds. See the longer of the two chicken gurgling/gurgling chicken threads for more info on them and treatment with antibiotics.
Her poop isn’t mucousy but just watery and mostly light brown. I’m so new to having chickens. She seems upbeat and happy.

Last edited:
Chickens can sneeze for many reasons. It doesn’t sound like a respiratory infection, but maybe something affecting her. Birds have delicate respiratory systems and almost anything can irritate the air sacs or lungs. Have you added or changed their bedding? Do they have proper ventilation? What kind of bedding are you using?

Back
Top Bottom