Sick chicken --- help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1country, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 1country

1country Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I have a barred rock and seen she was not acting the same yesterday . I watched her and she was a little slugish and fills lighter than the ather hens and her comb and her face is pale . She is about 5 mounths old and The poop is runny and milky color . I seperated her from the flock and she did eat some bread to day . anysugestion would be great thanks .

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I have no idea, I havent had any chickens do this before. Crossing my fingers that you find an answer.[​IMG]

3. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. My chick passed away this morning. It had been like this for a week and i could not figure out what it was. After researching her behavior, i think it was coccidiosis. I got her from a shelter last week and she probably had it then. I went to my local grain store and bought Corid as well as a disinfectant spray. You put the Corid in the chickens water(3 teaspoons per gallon of water) for about 4 days, and it should make them better. If i had realized this earlier i might have been able to save her. I still put it in the rest of the chickens water and disinfected their coop as well as their run. I also misted the chickens with the spray because it kills fleas and mites. This disease is catchy and can be deadly. Tired eyes on the chicken is a big sign of this disease. I hoped this helped and good luck. The total cost of the supplies was 30.00.

Karen

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It could be the heat, coccidiosis, worms, mites, impacted crop. So, feel her crop , it should be empty in the morning. Worm her and dust her for bugs. And bring her in for 24-48 hours (cooler) and see if she feels better. Electrolytes in the water will help, and make a wet mash from the chicken feed. I personally think it's the heat, but these other things have to be looked at.

5. 1country

1country Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I did bring her in wednesday and she past this morning . What ever it was it came on fast and I just hope that it don't spread to the other chickens . thanks for the input .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by